PDA

View Full Version : Segmented offering bowl bottom

David Warkentin
05-31-2010, 5:19 PM
Hi all. I am soon to turn some segmented offering bowls for our church. The bottoms of these bowl will be pretty much flat and about 8 inches in diameter. Do you all recommend the floating base or a plug or what? These will be walnut and maybe a little maple involved too. Do not want these botttoms to crack. David

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-31-2010, 6:28 PM
David, you have two logical choices. You could do a floating base which would certainly address the wood movement issue. The other technique would be to build up a lamination, keeping all the wood grain consistently aligned and then turn your bowls from the assembly. You would be wise to avoid stacking segmented rings upon such a large flat solid base.

David Warkentin
05-31-2010, 6:40 PM
Thanks Malcolm. I was hoping you would reply. David

David Warkentin
05-31-2010, 6:42 PM
As far as a lamination, do you mean glue up a big block of wood? Have done that but then I don't like the way the grain changes in a line. Guess I could seperate the walnut with a thin veneer of maple or do like a recent poster and groove and fill with something. David

David Warkentin
05-31-2010, 6:43 PM
I know that sounds crazy that I don't like the joint. I mean after all I am doing segmented. :D

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-31-2010, 10:36 PM
David, it sounds like there are a few floating bases in your future. :)

David Warkentin
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Looks like it. Guess I will study your book some more. Do you make a glue block on the bottom to go clear to the outer ring then. If you glue it to the center it won't work right? And is there a certain percentage that you use for the outer ring as far as width? David

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Looks like it. Guess I will study your book some more. Do you make a glue block on the bottom to go clear to the outer ring then. If you glue it to the center it won't work right? And is there a certain percentage that you use for the outer ring as far as width? David

David, after the floating base has been constructed, the base rim of the bowl is attached to a waste block - only the rim as you say. The thickness of the base rings does need to be a little thicker in order to accommodate the floating disc. I recently wrote an article for the Segmented Woodturners newsletter and I've posted a PDF copy on my website at: http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions.html (http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions.html)

(scroll down and you'll see several articles)