PDA

View Full Version : Ohhh my aching back!!

Josh Bowman
05-31-2010, 3:26 PM
How do you lift heavy stuff like table saws, lathes, timbers and large wood projects in your shop? Particularly off or on a truck or trailer without help?

Mike Schueler
05-31-2010, 3:30 PM
I cheat by making "steps" and lowering the heavy thing onto the steps bit by bit. It takes a while, and a PIA, but it works.

Brian Cover
05-31-2010, 4:32 PM
move the world.

The easiest way to move equipment off the trailer is using steps as mentioned or a ramp. I put 1" pvc pipe under the heavy stuff and I use a rope to control the descent. I off loaded my 1200 lb gun safe that way. In the shop, I have my large equipment on plywood or modified pallets. I just put the 1" pvc under whatever I need to move and it rolls quite freely whenever I want. The other advantage of the plywood is that it gives me a large area for dropping things. Ever drop a cutting tool on a concrete floor? No problem for me, the plywood has saved me a few dollars by protecting the cutting edges from damage. My bandsaw and drill press are on modified pallets. The pallets raise the tables up about 4" and makes for less bending while working; much easier on the back and closer to the eyes to see better. With 1" pvc under the pallets and I can re-arrange the shop in under 30 minutes.

Robert gree
05-31-2010, 4:53 PM
I know this problem to well, when i was 17 i was rear ended and have 3 herniated vertebra in my lower back, 3 years later at 20 it still a problem everyday.

for getting large machines off the pallet i use 2x6 with a slope cut in them and wax them. then i can drag the machine down the 2x6 to floor level. Once the machine is at floor level i have a hi lift jack that i use to put a 5x5" squares of 3/4 ply that have carpet covering them. the carpet is soaked in vegetable oil. makes moving machines very easy until i build mobile bases.

Daily task in the shop such as moving subwoofer enclosure that weigh 30-150+ pounds gets creative. From pushing them off the assembly table onto a mattress to get them on the floor so i can wrap them in cardboard and ship.

My most useful tool for moving stuff around is my engine hoist. i can move sheet stock finished projects and machines.

Bill LaPointe
05-31-2010, 4:58 PM
I use ramps to get off trailer and hand trucks or a pallet jack to move around the shop. In many cases I partially disassemble heavy machines to get them across the yard to the basement.

mickey cassiba
05-31-2010, 5:01 PM
I've used levers, block & tackle, and ramps for years. Machinery's good when you can get it, but sometimes you have to improvise.
Google "Gin Pole"
Mick

Myk Rian
05-31-2010, 5:06 PM
How do you lift heavy stuff like table saws, lathes, timbers and large wood projects in your shop? Particularly off or on a truck or trailer without help?
I lodge a 2x4 under a joist to the floor of the garage, hitch the chain fall to said joist, and hoist away.

David Nelson1
05-31-2010, 5:26 PM
Besides all the other suggestions you might look @ this Hyd lift cart that HF sells. I have had mine for quite a few years and its never let me down. Large enough to put most machinery on and stout enough to lift one end of 2000 lbs block and head milling machine to allow the installation machine moving casters.

Gary Herrmann
05-31-2010, 5:29 PM
2 ton engine hoist. You can use it to get a 600 lb tool out of the bed of a pickup truck and then lift it up again to get it on a mobile base.

I picked mine up on sale at an auto parts store for $100. One of my wiser purchases.

David Nelson1
05-31-2010, 5:29 PM
Here is pic of the cart. Dont know why I was having trouble uploading but........ ok still wont work here is the link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-scissor-table-cart-93116.html

Dave MacArthur
05-31-2010, 6:13 PM
Look at the thread in my signature, "how to move a saw". ;) Like Gary says, the engine hoist is the thing. Lift it off the pickup, roll it into the shop all with one hand.

Kirk Poore
05-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Engine hoist:
http://owwm.com/photoindex/images/4693-A.jpg

Or, tilting trailer:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7733/unload2.jpg

With the latter, I used a pry bar as well as rollers.

Kirk

Matt Meiser
06-01-2010, 8:18 AM
I built a set of forks that clamp on the loader bucket on my tractor. My Unisaw I didn't even use those but set an edge on the bucket, protected the side with a moving blanket, and strapped it on tight. I'd really like to get an engine hoist like Kirk's as well.

Rod Sheridan
06-01-2010, 8:30 AM
Hi, I use pullers, rollers, ramps, wedges etc. Those ancient Egyptians were no fools.

I also have a 600 pound capacity Genie lift I bought used, and I made a stair climber with a 2,000 pound winch so that I don't have to carry anything up or down the stairs.

I recently moved a Hammer B3 Winner by myself, into the basement. Well almost by myself, Ellington the shop cat supervised and Diann did push the "down" button on the winch for me.

regards, Rod.

P.S.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1393130#poststop

In the above thread, I have photographs of moving the 300Kg machine into the basement by myself.

Will Overton
06-01-2010, 8:50 AM
I'm a hobbyist working in a 2 car garage, so maybe my idea of heavy is a lot lighter than yours. I find that although I can't lift my 400 lb. tablesaw, I can tip it and get some 2x under it. I have an old, commercial, mover's dolly that can handle an awful lot of weight. When assembling new equipment (jointer, bandsaw etc) I lay everything on its side, snug the bolts, and then tip it upright.

When I moved my ts in the back of a TrailBlazer, I put some plywood over the carpet and tipped the saw into the vehicle. The cast iron top was supported by the vehicle as I lifted the base and slid the unit in. Taking it out the same principle applies, the vehicle is supporting the heavy end until the cabinet hits the floor and I can then tip it upright.

When I moved here 5 years ago I used PODS. Except for a triple dresser, I moved everything myself. Some things, with clean carpet runners on the floor, actually lend themselves to simply rolling them end over end.

In most cases, if you think about how to have the floor, a 2x4, the trailer or truck, etc., support most of the weight, it is only size that can be a problem. I couldn't get that triple dresser through the door using and end over end method.

Noah Bledstein
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm in the military and have to move my shop every few years. I bought the stacker linked below for loading and unloading large tools from semis. It is also great for moving equipment around, placing equipment onto mobile bases, as an elevated work platform, etc....
http://www.cpojettools.com/products/140521.html

Mike Goetzke
06-01-2010, 1:19 PM
I have two cable lift systems in my garage. The one furthest from the overhead door is for plywood storage and the one closest to the door has my Eurekazone track saw system on it. When I purchase 4x8 sheet stock I pull my Suburban up to the material lift and just slide it onto the platform. Then when needed I slide it onto the track saw system bench:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/EZ%20Smart/PBB%20Lift/IMG_1391_1_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/EZ%20Smart/PBB%20Lift/IMG_1393_3_1.jpg

Mike Heidrick
06-01-2010, 2:26 PM

Good buddy Johnny and Forks

800lb MM20