PDA

View Full Version : Large Bald Cypress (The Senator)

Kevin Beck
11-24-2004, 7:54 AM
The LOML's and I visitied Big Tree park over the weekend. It's less than 2 miles from my home and I haven't visitied it in the 9 years I have lived here. Talk about a hidden treasure.

One of the pictures below shows the information on the tree. It is 120+ feet tall and is estimated to be 3,000 to 3,500 years old. It was over 160 feet tall but lost about 40 feet of it's length in a hurricane in 1925.

Check out the estimated board feet of lumber - 50,000.

There is a tradition in this area of losing candidates for public office visiting the park. I'm not sure how the tradition started but standing next to it does indeed help put things in perspective.

Kevin Beck
11-24-2004, 7:57 AM
I've included a picture of the LOML's in front of the tree for perspective and a picture of another "smaller" bald cypress in the same park.

Jim Becker
11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
That's a big-un, Kevin! I'm going to have to try and visit that park on one of my visits with the 'rents in central Florida.

Chris Padilla
11-24-2004, 1:30 PM
Whatever! ;) :p

We got some big 'uns here, too! :D

In case you can't read the sign, this Coastal Redwood is 250' tall. The forest is Big Basin very close to San Jose. That is my MIL there along with the kid a couple years ago. :)