PDA

View Full Version : What is a good price for rough maple?

Shawn Stennett
05-31-2010, 2:35 PM
Hi gentlman,

I am in the need of some answer about prices, what is a good price for rough cut kiln dried hard maple in central Texas? Also what about walnut? I have only been able to work with pine and just recently Red Oak for my projects. I am wanting my first nice wood project to be a work bench. I am wanting to build one 30''x72'' and either 3'' or 4'' thick and have figured that if I got 100 bf I would have enough for the top with some left over. I have a lot of more research before hand conserning the table before I start though.

Shawn Stennett
05-31-2010, 4:19 PM
What is a decent price anywhere for hard maple?

Eiji Fuller
05-31-2010, 4:35 PM
It all depends where you live. Just call all the local suppliers you can find. I even pit them against each other.

"I can get this for this from XYZ, but I would prefer to buy from you what can you do to help me out with that?"

That can usually get the pricing a little better for you.

If you regularly buy alot of wood you can have a better negotiating experience. I like to get to know the people in charge too.

Randy Gazda
05-31-2010, 5:41 PM
A good price in Montana is $3-4/bd ft. and we are a long ways from the source. Check out Craig's list as an option.

Robert gree
05-31-2010, 9:56 PM
i just had to pay $7 a bd ft here in central FL walnut the onlt to places i can find it is 13 and 15.50 a bd ft

jim gossage
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
You can get maple for 2.8/bf and walnut for 4/9/bf from www.walllumber.com (http://www.walllumber.com)

Brian Ross
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Talking about the price of lumber without knowing the grade is like buying a GM car and not knowing if the price is for a cavalier or cadillac. The price varies greatly between grades.

Brian

Charles Thomas
06-01-2010, 8:38 AM
Check Texas Plywood's web site as they have current pricing on line. They are located in Fort Worth. I have been using Dakota Hardwoods in Waco but they are a little bit higher priced on hardwoods.