PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Question (problem)

Paul Douglass
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a Nova 1624. It has a real high pitch squeak when running especially at high speeds. Bearing? Hard to tell but sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor. Is there a way to lube them and should you have to? Could it be the belt wearing? The belt looks okay. Darn, my cheap HF lathe never gave me any problems and I had it longer than this lathe.

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2010, 1:35 PM
Pop the belt off and run the motor. If the "squeak: is still there, look to the motor. If not, the belt or pulley. I had a similar thing going with my old Rockwell lathe and it turned out the set screw and pulley key had "gone missing so the pulley was slipping on the shaft.

Michael Mills
05-31-2010, 2:31 PM
I had a similar problem a few months after I got my 1624. The setscrew on the spindle shaft pulley had loosened and the pulley had moved back against the formed metal end (handwheel end).
Mike

Mike McAfee
05-31-2010, 3:28 PM
Belt dressing!

Check the other suggestions as well but I'm betting it's the belt in some shape or form (it was on my Nova)!

MMc

Paul Douglass
05-31-2010, 4:28 PM
Doesn't make the noise with the belt off, but I figures that was because there was no pressure on the shaft.

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2010, 4:55 PM
So when you put the belt back on it still squeals? The pulleys are aligned and tight?

Paul Douglass
05-31-2010, 6:22 PM
Pulleys feel tight and are aligned. It doesn't have the squeak all the time but a lot of the time. I got the lathe in '08 and it has the original belt. Maybe I should order a new one and see if it makes a difference.

Joe Kaufman
05-31-2010, 6:23 PM
With it running and squealing, carefully apply a few drops of water to the inside of the belt. If the squeal diminishes temporarily it most likely is the belt.
Joe

Michelle Rich
06-01-2010, 7:12 AM
I have the old 3000..had the same issue..the pulley came loose enough to cause the squeek..check the set screw and make sure all is back in alignment

Paul Douglass
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
First, thanks for all the input. I ordered a new belt, thought is was worth getting one just in case that was the issue. What is the method of lining up the pulleys? I eyeball it and they look aligned. Not sure it that is accurate enough.

Jeff Nicol
06-01-2010, 5:56 PM
First, thanks for all the input. I ordered a new belt, thought is was worth getting one just in case that was the issue. What is the method of lining up the pulleys? I eyeball it and they look aligned. Not sure it that is accurate enough.
Paul, If you take a straight edge that is long enough to touch both pulleys at the farthest distance on each one. Make sure the stratight edge touches the pulleys on the straight edge without any gaps or rocking. I think that will help make sure the pulleys are lined up.

Bob Borzelleri
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
"Tight" is not necessarily a setting on the belt. My 1624 does not like to be "tight". It seems to prefer "snug".;)

All seriousness aside, too tight results in noise, bearing wear and all manner of fun reduction. I've taken to letting the motor weight take up the belt slack and just adding a "smidgen" of pressure as I "snug" up the T bar.

Paul Douglass
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
"Tight" is not necessarily a setting on the belt. My 1624 does not like to be "tight". It seems to prefer "snug".;)

All seriousness aside, too tight results in noise, bearing wear and all manner of fun reduction. I've taken to letting the motor weight take up the belt slack and just adding a "smidgen" of pressure as I "snug" up the T bar.

Yep I learned this one early on. I always push on the belt to try to get about 1/4" + deflection on it. You can tell by the sound also.