PDA

View Full Version : A few turnings

Patrick Doody
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
this weekend has been semi productive for me, I got a bowl finished, turned a birdhouse(havent finished putting it together yet) turned my first duck call, hauled some wood and milled up some blanks on the new bandsaw. and made this small bud vase. I also finished up building a bike that i've been working on for the past year. today i'm going on a bike ride, but i hope to make a small bud vase for the bike and maybe turn some bar end plugs once i get some more curly maple.

the bowl is made from a nice big birch tree that was dying up on our family's land, it turned so nice that i'm going to go get some more after i finish off this batch. the call and the bud vase are from maple scraps,
still have to put some finish on the call, but everything has some beeswax on it. there are still some tool marks on the bowl, I'm working on technique and after doing som fmaller projects i think i've had a few Ahh Ha moments. the next one should be a bit better. critiques welcome.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4656275024_f679350a33_b.jpg

John Keeton
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Patrick, sounds like you have been busy!!! Very nice work on the call, and the bowl has great form. Can you still chuck up the bowl to do some sanding on it? Looks like the tool marks could be worked out rather easily on the lathe.

Great work.

James Combs
05-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Been a busy weekend for you for sure. Good looking group of turnings but the photo... most excellent. LOVE the composition.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Very nice work Patrick! Birch is a great wood for turning - grab all you can!

David E Keller
05-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Looks like a great weekend that produced some nice looking turnings, Patrick. Nice photo composition. Congrats on the birch haul... it's a lot of fun to turn.

Patrick Doody
05-31-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks guys! yeah fun weekend. the hunting land has plenty of oak, maple, birch, and Poplar (is poplar any good for turning?). I'll probably be reloading my stock in a few months.

here's a pic of the birdhouse(my first one), this one was fun to mess around with, it's pretty rough but that's kinda how i wanted it as it will be outside in the elements(also birch):
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4656083015_2a23e30abc_b.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Patrick sounds like you were busy but also sounds like you had a wonderful weekend doing some fun things. Great looking bowl, call and birdhouse.

Patrick Doody
05-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Patrick, sounds like you have been busy!!! Very nice work on the call, and the bowl has great form. Can you still chuck up the bowl to do some sanding on it? Looks like the tool marks could be worked out rather easily on the lathe.

Great work.

Yeah i could probably work out most of it, and i may try some danish oil, sand and buff on a beall. It's going to be a utility (salad) bowl. I Love this birch, so far my favorite wood to turn. seems to be really resistant to cracking, this bowl I turned from a log to final thickness, sanded, dried for a week in parchment paper, dried for 2 more weeks in the open, sanded some more, turned the tennon off and put some bee's wax/mineral oil on. Easiest bowl so far.