PDA

View Full Version : couple of recent bowls

Sean Hughto
05-30-2010, 9:13 PM
Never enough bowls right? :rolleyes:

First is cherry. About 11 across and almost 7 deep.

Second one is ambrosia maple. About 14 across and 4.5 deep.
The ambrosia one is sort of ironic in that I posted in the bowls "uses" thread that I like to make stuff that can be used. The beetle holes make the use of this one somewhat questionable - at least sor any food that might have a liquid component.

Thanks for looking. I know they are simple. I'm a beginner, and am still so fascinated with, and challenged by, the curves alone, that I haven't even thought about trying much else with my forms in the way of decoration or embellishment. Constructive criticism welcome.

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2010, 9:23 PM
Those are nice bowls. I really like the cherry one, especially the bevel on the rim. No need for any embellishment there. I am finding that I like simple, graceful forms more than some of the complex "tour de force" pieces I see, even though those may be more impressive in their execution.

Aaron Wingert
05-30-2010, 9:26 PM
I like them both but am especially partial to the ambrosia maple one. Great shape to it.

Sean Hughto
05-30-2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks, David. I appreciate the encouragement.

Harvey Ghesser
05-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Sean,

I think both of your bowls are terrific! The ambrosia maple is my favorite! Keep up the good work!:D

Harv

Sean Hughto
05-30-2010, 9:33 PM
Thanks, Aaron. The maple is probably technically superior as far as being one of the most even interior curves I have managed. It also has a very uniform thickness on the walls and bottom - sometimes I get lucky!

I thought I was just going to rough the cherry, but it turned out to be far drier than I thought, so I went ahead and finished it in one go. Something about the height seemed to demand a heavier wall and base to keep it stable. I like it, but I would usually think thinner.

Sorry to babble, but when I say this sort of stuff to my wife, she just kind of nods. I figure there's a chance fellow turners will understand the thoughts that go through one's head as we stand there at the lathe in the moment.

Cathy Schaewe
05-30-2010, 9:34 PM
I like them both too, but the ambrosia maple is very striking.

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice work on both bowls! I like the ambrosia bowl a lot because of form and also because of all the color variations in the wood! Beautiful bowl!

If you are worried about the holes - you can always fill them. Personally, I feel all those voids and natural variations add character to the turning and leave them as is. Other folks see them as defects - so it is a matter of taste.

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
"...when I say this sort of stuff to my wife, she just kind of nods..."

Don't feel alone. And don't blame your wife. That happens with anyone who is not passionate about what you are passionate about. I catch a lot of my friends glancing toward the heavens. That's what's so great about the internet. You can find others who will appreciate what you have to say about your processes. It's not a question of anyone not caring. People will react to the piece because it's a beautiful object but not really be interested in how you made it or what you had to think about. But around here, everyone's in the "same boat" and perfectly happy to spend days discussing the subtly of a curve or the figure in a nice piece of wood.

Kevin J Lalonde
05-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Sharp looking bowls there. I like the maple one better myself. I am in the same boat as you. Havent done so much on bowls other than focusing on the curves. Keep um coming Sean.

Cathy Schaewe
05-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry to babble, but when I say this sort of stuff to my wife, she just kind of nods. I figure there's a chance fellow turners will understand the thoughts that go through one's head as we stand there at the lathe in the moment.

I'm with you there. I say these things and the hubby just looks at me patiently. Oh well, at least he has an attentive look on his face - :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Sean those are nice bowls. I am partial to cherry. Really like the rim treatment. Well done.

brian watts
05-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Those are nice bowls. I really like the cherry one, especially the bevel on the rim. No need for any embellishment there. I am finding that I like simple, graceful forms more than some of the complex "tour de force" pieces I see, even though those may be more impressive in their execution.

same here . i like the cherry one ..very nice

John Keeton
05-31-2010, 7:27 AM
Sean, I think you do some great curves on your bowls, and both of these are nice. The cherry is well suited to the thicker sides, and for overall form and character, I really like the Ambrosia maple. I just finished a piece in Ambrosia, and it can be a strikingly beautiful wood.

The size of the maple makes is a little easier to get a wide gentle curve, too.

Well done!

David Gilbert
05-31-2010, 8:06 AM
Sean, I'm also a beginner and have been playing with curves. I prefer the ambrosia maple bowl with it's more gentle curves. The bowls appear to be of similar thickness but in the larger ambrosia maple bowl I think it looks better.

I noticed that you signed your bowl by burning your name, date and wood on the bottom. I've been looking for a method to do this. I initially used a fine magic marker but SWMBO put the nix on that. Can you provide some details about your equipment and technique?

Cheers,
David

Tony De Masi
05-31-2010, 8:34 AM
Sean, both are well executed IMO. If I had to pick just one I would take the AM strictly based on the grain and coloration of the piece. I am very partial to cherry but in the case the AM really catches my eye.

I feel ya on trying to explain these things to others who just don't share the passion. They just don't see things as we do.

Tony

charlie knighton
05-31-2010, 8:53 AM
very nice....

Sean Hughto
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks. I have a woodburning pen like this. I tried the cheap hobby ones, but wasn't satisfied. These sorts of pens allow you to control the heat and have better tips.

http://www.mountainwoodcarvers.com/colwoo42.jpg

John Keeton
05-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Sean, I am unfamiliar with all of the various brands of woodburning equipment - do you have a link to the one you posted? Looks like a nice unit without being overly complicated.

Sean Hughto
05-31-2010, 10:51 AM
This is the Colwood Cub. You can get the main unit for around $55 - $65 (price varies from different outlets). and then buy a pen and a couple tips for another $25 or so. With all these tips and the box, they charge like $140 or so. The next step up is the Colwood detailer - just a slightly bigger unit. Various outlets have kits and a la carte pieces. A quick search on Google will brind you many options from the familar Packard and Highland to many you'll have not heard of, but possibly cheaper. I just happen have a Colwood, and have been very satisfied; there are many other makes out ther that look like they'd be as good.

James Combs
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks. I have a woodburning pen like this. I tried the cheap hobby ones, but wasn't satisfied. These sorts of pens allow you to control the heat and have better tips.

Sean, I am unfamiliar with all of the various brands of woodburning equipment - do you have a link to the one you posted? Looks like a nice unit without being overly complicated.

Sean, I'm also a beginner and have been playing with curves. I prefer the ambrosia maple bowl with it's more gentle curves. The bowls appear to be of similar thickness but in the larger ambrosia maple bowl I think it looks better.

I noticed that you signed your bowl by burning your name, date and wood on the bottom. I've been looking for a method to do this. I initially used a fine magic marker but SWMBO put the nix on that. Can you provide some details about your equipment and technique?

Cheers,
David

Ditto on a link to or detail description of the wood burning tool. My vote goes to the cherry bowl. I really like the look of cherry.

bob svoboda
05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
"Don't feel alone. And don't blame your wife. That happens with anyone who is not passionate about what you are passionate about. I catch a lot of my friends glancing toward the heavens."
David said it very well-Don't let that stop you from being proud of reaching new levels of turning. I consider myself a beginner as well and sometimes have to be content with dazzling only myself :D. I think both of your bowls are great, but am partial to the AM with all the color and figure. I personally love bowls with holes in them

David E Keller
05-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice work, Sean. I like the maple form better because I think the curve is more appealing, but they are both nicely done.