PDA

View Full Version : Rob Cosman angle trainer

Jim Barrett
05-30-2010, 8:53 PM
OK so another sharpening gizmo...right...well I am really convinced. This little angle trainer is really cool...and it really works. I have a Veritas MK II and the original Eclipse honing jig. Been using them off an on for some time now. When Rob came out with his angle trainer I figured what the heck. So I ordered one and and put it to use. I grind a 25 degree primary angle on my plane blades via high speed grinder and then go to work honing with the RC trainer. First angle is 29 degrees. I hone on my 1K grit stone for 15 seconds or so until I feel a bevel and then go to the 31 degree angle side of the trainer and use my 16k stone for 10 seconds and am done. Finish the back on my 16k stone with the ruler trick and am back planing with under .001 shavings. It is really that easy....
End of story !! :)
Oh and btw...it really does help to train your hand on how to hold the plane blade at the correct angle...

Jim

Rick Erickson
05-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Got one too Jim. I agree with your review. It is very convenient and fast. The only limitation is the static angles (29 and 31) but this satisfies the majority of my sharpening needs.