PDA

View Full Version : Me and my son are hooked

Steve Bearden
05-30-2010, 8:42 PM
Well I bought some slimeline pen kits to work on with my 15 year old son. Long story short we are addicted. These things are fun to make and we got to spend some good quality shop time together. I feel like he is going to be a future lumber jock and that is so cool. He really likes to take his time and do it as perfect as he can. If that is all it takes is a lathe to bring us closer hell I’ll get a couple more haha. Anyways thanks for looking and if any of you have not tried to make these pen kits they are easy quick and fun to make. keep those chips flying boys and girls. First pic from top to bottom: Purple heart, Red Heart, Burmese Black wood, Asian satin wood, Mopani

-- The wife asks me all the time "what ya makin" SAWDUST duh, tnwoodworks.web.com

Cathy Schaewe
05-30-2010, 9:15 PM
Nice! And always better if you can bond with family at the same time!!;)

Aaron Wingert
05-30-2010, 9:33 PM
Great pens and that's great that your son enjoys being in the shop with you! So many kids these days only want to sit in front of the video games and they grow to be adults without having any ability to work with their hands, or knowing the pride of making something that makes people ooh and aah.

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2010, 9:42 PM
Steve - great looking pens and and even better story to go with them! always good to hear when family gets to spend time together!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you guys turn next!

Paul Douglass
05-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I wish I would have spent time like that with my kids. My fault, always to busy. Time like that is Priceless no matter what you are making!! Nice pens you must be proud of him.

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2010, 10:31 PM
My son and I have worked together since he was thirteen and started "helping" me in the shop. We still haven't gotten sick of each other!

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Doesn't get any better than that. Spend every minute you can. Great looking pens.

David E Keller
05-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Great looking pens and a great story as well. I love that satinwood because I know how pretty it is in the sunlight.

Steve Bearden
05-31-2010, 2:00 PM
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Yeah I'm glad he enjoys it as much as i do. These pens are great, not too difficult and quick to make because kids need some instant gratification. Many more to come I'm sure.

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2010, 2:27 PM
If your world is anything like mine, you can't have too many pens. I've never made any but I buy them by the boxful and scatter them everywhere. Even so, it seems like no one can ever find one (at least not one that writes) when they need one...