PDA

View Full Version : 5 Megapixels Camera With Docking Cradle

Boyd Gathwright
11-23-2004, 8:29 PM
5 MEGAPIXELS CAMERA WITH DOCKING CRADLE
<O:p</O:p

…. If anyone is looking for a quality digital camera at a very reasonable price this might be it. Wal-Mart is offering this camera, Kodak DX4530 and Cradle for $198.00. This is, about, less than half what I paid at COSTCO several months ago. This is the only camera I have used to do all my posting here at SMC. A great little camera, small enough to carry around in your pocket until you are ready to use it and not only that you can take movies with it as well. It also has Macro, Fill flash, AUTO, Sports, Night, and landscape settings. This camera is on sale at Wal-Mart, Friday Nov. 26, 2004 from 6 AM till 11AM so if your looking for a good little camera to post with or for that matter just about anything else in a general way here is your chance. By the way, I paid more than double for my 256Mb memory chip compared to the price Wal-Mart is offering there 128Mb memory chip for on the same page as the camera is being offered. So you might want to consider that as well while the sale is on. I adjusted and posted here some brief pics from the Wal-Mart add below.

…. Good hunting on your choice and the best of luck ;) .

Boyd

Martin Shupe
11-23-2004, 8:50 PM
Does that use the format called "compact flash" cards? I know there are several types of media storage cards, but I don't know enough about them. I am also interested in the Nikon SLR digital camera that has a rebate, but if I buy that, I can't buy the Festool Vac and saw I "need".

Too many things I want, and not enough $$$.

This looks like a good, small, camera to carry while traveling. Can anyone tell me if the media is the same as the Nikon line?

Thanks...

No, I have not tackled the commode wax ring problem yet, but I'll get to it. Been gone lately again...sigh...

Martin Shupe
11-24-2004, 12:12 AM
OK, so I figured out that Kodak uses an SD multimedia card, while Nikon uses Compactflash. What I don't know is which is better?, which one will turn into the 8 track tape of digital cameras?, and why the heck they can't agree on a common format in the first place!

I already have a Sony memory stick, proprietory to their cameras, of course. If I want to buy the "good deal" Kodak now, and later the D70 Nikon, I'll end up with 3 different types of media for picture storage. Not an ideal situation.

Any comments to help me understand this stuff and what I should do would be appreciated.

Curt Harms
11-24-2004, 5:34 AM
Hi Martin

I tend to agree with You about the incompatible media formats. However, once the pics are transferred to a hard drive, CD, DVD or whatever, the camera media type is not that big a deal; the camera media need not be 'permanent' storage.

Curt

Jim Becker
11-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Martin, there are also "multi format" readers available for not a lot of money should you need that capability. And unless you are planning on taking gazzillions of pictures on one trip without transfering to your computer, one media card (and maybe a spare for grins) is all you need. I use a 256mb card in my D70 and even with snapping at max resolution, I never have had more than about a hundred shots stored before transfer direct from the camera to the computer via USB cable. (No extra reader required) And media is getting cheaper by the minute...don't base your camera choice on that, per se...there are more important considerations.

John Weber
11-24-2004, 1:38 PM
Boyd,

Thanks for the heads up.

John

Brian Austin
11-24-2004, 2:03 PM
The Brown Guy delivered a Canon EOS 20D to me yesterday. 8.2 megapixels, 25 continuous frames before pause, uses Canon EF lenses and has more bells and whistles than this traditional film guy is going to be able to use for a while. And I added a 1gb CF card. Holds 242 pics at 8.2mp or over 1000 at .7mp (smallest it will go). :D

Jim Becker
11-24-2004, 2:07 PM
Brian, I hear that the 20D raises the bar in this class relative to the D70...congratulations! Of course...we expect more pictures from you, too... :D

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 7:25 PM
Brian,

Where'd you get it? I should have waited before I bought my G5. Now with the 20D the 10d's price will probaly drop. Sounds really nice, have fun, post lots of pics!

Pete

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 7:30 PM
Boyd,

Guy at work had the 3 Mega pixel one and had to send it in for repair, told him He would get a new one so He was able to get the 5 mega pixel like in the ad. Take really nice picture but He said it goes though batteries fast if you use the screen on the back. That's a good price by the way.

Pete

Brian Austin
11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Brian,

Where'd you get it? I should have waited before I bought my G5. Now with the 20D the 10d's price will probaly drop. Sounds really nice, have fun, post lots of pics!

Pete
I'm a fairly loyal B&H customer. I don't really shop around much.

The G5 is not a bad camera at all. The 10D has, in fact, dropped in price due to the release of the 20D. I really wanted the extra speed feature that the 20D offers, though, so I paid the premium for the newer model.

Posting pics later. I have nothing to post right now!

Brian Hale
11-25-2004, 11:12 AM
A couple friends of mine have the 20D and it's a very nice camera! I'm still shooting with the D60 but as soon as Canon comes out with a pro-sumer body that'll AF at f8 i'll buy it. Till then...... The G5 is also nice (i've got the G3)

Brian, are you shooting RAW when you get 242 images/Gb?

Brian :)

Brian Austin
11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Brian, are you shooting RAW when you get 242 images/Gb?

Brian :)
No, haven't played with that yet. I just checked. At RAW only, I have 111 shots according to the counter.

The 20D has RAW+JPEG option, too, at various resolutions on the JPEG side. Basically, it saves two files for every shot. Don't know if that's available on other models, though. It sure would be a fast way to eat up that 1Gb CF card, though!

Jim Young
11-25-2004, 12:21 PM
What is the cradle used for? Is it for recharging? I plan on getting my Dad a digi camera for Chrismas so this might fit the bill.

Brian Hale
11-25-2004, 12:47 PM
At the higest jpg setting (iso 100) on a 1gb card i get 396 images but RAW drops it to 135. I seldom shoot anything but RAW and thus need several cards for a weekend photo trip.

Give RAW a try and see what you think. It takes more time on the computer but i like the extra options available in the RAW converter....

Brian

John Weber
11-25-2004, 2:51 PM
What is the cradle used for? Is it for recharging? I plan on getting my Dad a digi camera for Chrismas so this might fit the bill.

Jim,

The cradle is for charging and uploading - works great! I've had my Kodak for about 2 years, the cradle is super, no cables, upload with the push of a button. I think it's a very underrated bonus, especailly for a novice. We are deciding on the Kodak at Wally World or a Fuji w/cradle at Office Max for my wife. Right now it looks like I'll be getting up very early Friday.

John

Boyd Gathwright
11-25-2004, 9:37 PM
Hi John,

…. You are more than welcome for the posting and I think you will be more than satisfied with your early morning purchase for your wife. I know I can’t complain and that includes the software and the updates as well, which I overlooked mentioning in the original post. You and your wife enjoy it and don’t forget the extra memory chip ;).

Boyd

------------------------------------------------------------
Jim,

The cradle is for charging and uploading - works great! I've had my Kodak for about 2 years, the cradle is super, no cables, upload with the push of a button. I think it's a very underrated bonus, especailly for a novice. We are deciding on the Kodak at Wally World or a Fuji w/cradle at Office Max for my wife. Right now it looks like I'll be getting up very early Friday.

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boyd,

Thanks for the heads up.

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Young
11-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, I ran out this morning and they were already out. THe clerck old me about another Walmart that had 50 left. Headed over there for the camera and woohoo. Of course my Dad was with me so he got to see his Christmas present early. Now he wants to take it out of the box but I won't let him, hehe.

John Weber
11-26-2004, 1:30 PM
Jim,

Good Deal. We've started to look at Friday after Thanksgiving as a "fun" activity. Once you go to people watch, and can afford to miss some specials you might have wanted, it's kind of fun to make a day of it. Anyway, the camera was the only thing we really wanted at Walmart, so for $8 they are shipping me one, and we hit the "other" sales. A good day so far:

TV for MIL, regular $369 sale $299
DVD for Dad, regular $179 sale $139
RC car for kids, er Dad, regular $59 sale $29
Camera for wife $208
Blade Runner DVD, sale $3.88

My wife loaded up on Kids toys and stuff, plus we looked "again" at big screen TV's. I think we did well today, one more stop to Menards this afternoon and I should be done for now.

John