PDA

View Full Version : Online store, web dev, etc...

Michael Schwartz
05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I am planning to setup an online store separate but linked to my existing web page. I am looking for a web based platform that is simple, and has a nice interface.

For now the store would be a place holder, a way to list and sell a few items, and for processing credit card transactions.

In the future I would likely use it to list a few hundred items at the most. I don't plan to make allot of income with it in the short term, so monthly costs would be a concern.

Any reviews I can seem to find seem to be pretty biased and push one service or another, and bash the rest. I am looking for some honest opinions based on actual experience.

In the long term I may hire a professional web developer, although that is out of my budget at this time.

Of course security, reliability, uptime, and compatibility, come first over other requirements. The last thing I want are peoples shopping carts bugging out, or something because their browser is a year old.

Dennis McGarry
05-30-2010, 2:26 PM
First question is where is your site hosted now?

Most offer a couple of really nice web stores that you can install with a click through your control panel. Most are fairly advanced in what they will do, and offer many options for processing transactions.

Install it in a subfolder of your domain. If you need any help in this feel free to shoot me a PM.

dennis

Mitchell Andrus
05-30-2010, 3:48 PM
I have 2 cart sites. One is on the BV Commerce platform and the other is by Able Commerce, each will set up test stores for you where you can set up a real store for a while and convert to a permanent one later. Each has a great forum. These are not for the 'here's a picture of a turned bowl, pay via Paypal' vendor. If you're looking for something simple they are out there - but I outgrew a simple platform 6 months after building it. There are very different ways to set up products in each platform. The 'look' of the site has little to do with the inner workings such as data base mgm't, card processing, automated shipping interface, choices (red, blue green) and combos of choices (Medium, red. Small, blue. Large red.... etc), discount coupons and sales, member discounts (wholesale).....

BV5: missionfurnishings.com
Able: medicinecabinetmaker.com

I'd recommend either, but be sure to put aside time for the learning curve. Now that all of the background work is done, I can add a new product to either in about 1 minute.

Dave Johnson29
05-31-2010, 9:36 AM
I am looking for a web based platform that is simple, and has a nice interface.

Check out Google Sites and you can use Google checkout. The "Sites" is free and the checkout a flat 2.9%

Michael Schwartz
06-02-2010, 2:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will definitely check all out the services that were mentioned.

I think the google checkout/sites option is just what I am looking for right now.