PDA

View Full Version : Will this veneer tear out?

Greg Peterson
05-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I am building a lap slide guitar that is similar to a mini Les Paul. The body is made of alder which for tone wood is fine, but I want to spice up the top.

So I plan on veneering something a little more interesting to the top and then hide this via binding along the top edge. The rabbet I need to cut for the binding will be less than 1/16" deep.

I had planned on applying the veneer first then routing out the rabbet. But I am wondering what is the potential for tear out in this scenario?

One idea I am considering is a light scoring mark.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this or veneering in general (first veneering project) are appreciated.

Jim Tobias
05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Greg,
I think you will be fine if you have a good bond with a good glue. I typically use Unibond with my veneers and have rounted out area for inlay without having rough edges/tearout.
You might want to veneer an extra piece and test out your technique first before routing the actual piece that you will use.
I am sure others here can give you more advice.

Jim

Gerry Grzadzinski
05-30-2010, 11:17 AM
As Jim said, with a good glue bond, veneer's will rarely tear out. If you don't want to take any chances at all, you can always climb cut.

Another option to reduce tearout, is to put 2 coats of finish on before routing. This will reduce any fuzzing too.

Greg Peterson
05-30-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the tips.

Steve Jenkins
05-30-2010, 8:04 PM
You might also consider using a downcut spiral bit.

Greg Peterson
05-30-2010, 8:49 PM
I had to purchase a special rabbeting bit to create the binding channel. The bit has a six degree downshear cutting edge.

Van Huskey
05-31-2010, 1:31 AM
Sharp downcut bit...check, veneer stuck well...check, no problems.

As for glue on veneers I plan to cut or rout I ALWAYS use a plastic powdered urea-formaldehyde resin (PPR) veneer glue. Because it sets so hard it doesn't allow the veneer to flex at the cut line even a tiny amount like most other cold press glues do. Not sayng this is an issue just my train of thought plus I actually like using PPRs for most of my veneer anyway.

Chip Lindley
05-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Climb-cutting can help prevent tearout. Parts of your guitar top may be better routed by changing to climb-cutting, depending on the grain direction of the veneer. Reading the grain can make a big difference in pleasing results. There's no law that the edge need be routed all in one pass, in the same direction!