PDA

View Full Version : Why SMC is different

John Coloccia
05-30-2010, 8:23 AM
I belong to a couple other forums. Some are very civil, like SMC, and others are a disorganized mess. The difference: the well behaved, civil, forums require that you use your real name. Here's what a typical thread looks like on one other forum in particular:

JimFive4321:
Gary Coleman died. How sad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MonkeyBrain:
He was the little guy from Different Strokes, right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tirdotater:
The sister was HOT.
Buckster:
She killed herself. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for watching these shows and contributing to the abuse of child actors.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MauriceTheFleece:
In Paris where I am, you must to have the papers showing education and proper upbringing to act. Only Americans can be like this with children. We know all of it and laugh on you! Sorry for my English.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brd938kj:
WT??!?

*****one week, and 200 posts later*****

dumbo10:

*snip*
If you knew anything about Husserl's phenomenology, which you obviously don't, you could never make the statement you just made. His work is self-evidentally correct, and if you can't understand that then don't blame be that you're a dullard and not smart like me
*snip*

Husserl was an idiot.
jhks34k:
ur teh idiot so stop runing y/lips maybe you cn b smart sumday but you're to dum i cant understand u
wumbley:

The sister was HOT.
+1 :D

I don't know if using your real name is the cause or if it's simply that a forum that requires use of your real name caters to a different audience. All I can say is how pleasant SMC is compared to some other forums I belong to. THANK YOU.

Rob Cunningham
05-30-2010, 8:33 AM
John, I agree with you 100%. There is another forum that I used to participate in but became disgusted with the lack of respect and ugliness of the people there. I think we have a great group here.

Curt Harms
05-30-2010, 8:52 AM
Also don't forget SMC is moderated. I may not always agree with the decisions, but they're right far more often than they're wrong.

Dennis McGarry
05-30-2010, 9:34 AM
Thats the key right there active and intelligent moderators.

I belong to only one other forum for woodworking/pens, after checking quite a few out and it is also very well moderated and civil. Then again after a while you do not get the "idiot" mentality people in them either. So you end up with a great membership of like minded people who are there to actually learn, discuss and help others..

glenn bradley
05-30-2010, 9:47 AM
Here, here. I occasionally visit one of those other places and quickly find out why my visits are so occasional. Great group here. Being a member has sped my learning curve, saved me from technical and "purchase" mistakes, given me ideas for projects and made me laugh.

As to John; you are just now noticing this!?! SMC's work is self-evidentally correct, and if you can't understand that then don't blame me that you're a dullard and not smart like me. :D:D:D

Bill LaPointe
05-30-2010, 9:57 AM
I am a fairly new member and the first thing I noticed was there was almost a total lack of disrespect among the participants. The reason that I became a member rather than a visitor. Even the most inane question is answered with respect. I am inclined to agree that both the name requirement and the moderators are primarily responsible. Great place to learn!

Mike Hollingsworth
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm not too fond of the Human Race, but I can tolerate woodworkers.

Mitchell Andrus
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm not too fond of the Human Race, but I can tolerate woodworkers.

.... and the women who love them.

<ducking for cover> .... wait for it.......

Greg Peterson
05-30-2010, 1:22 PM
There is something about having to use your real name, or some semblance of a real name. Even still, some times the discussions get a little animated and the mods have to step in and diffuse or throttle it back.

Some sights prefer a rough and tumble environment, which I don't have a problem with. However, in my experience, the mods generally allow the majority opinions to treat the minority opinions very poorly. So I stay away from at least one wood working site for this reason. The bullies in that basement are allowed to act with impunity. You run afoul of one of them and you are dealing with the whole gang from there on out.

SMC is a nice, comfortable place where disagreements are not cause for slander.

Don Alexander
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm not too fond of the Human Race, but I can tolerate woodworkers

hehe +1 for that sentiment :D:D

Michael MacDonald
06-01-2010, 11:31 PM
What? you don't agree with the french guy? He laugh on you.

John -- you are right about SMC. very civil. The focus is pretty good too. I don't really have time for wading through half-baked irrelevance intruding in on woodworking exchanges...

Gene Howe
06-02-2010, 8:25 AM
I belong to and lightly participate in 8 woodworking forums. 5 are machine or style specific and 3 are general woodworking sites.
None have ever devolved into the nonsense quoted by the OP. All are civil and great sources of information and fellowship.
That being said, SMC remains at the top of my list.

Belinda Barfield
06-02-2010, 8:51 AM
I attribute all of the above to the fact that woodworkers, and the women who love them, are just basically good people. :)

Jim Koepke
06-02-2010, 1:13 PM
I think it is a blend of the people, the rules, members respect for the rules and the moderation to help people stay within the rules.

With this kind of atmosphere, it tends to draw in people who do not want to hide behind a pseudonym and throw barbs at others.

I think it attracts adults who will see a question that may seem inane and like me think, how long ago was it that this was a question of mine?

Answering such a question is an opportunity to review and grow in one's own thoughts for a mature person.

To ridicule someone for their question may give the immature person a few moments of pleasure. It does nothing to develop camaraderie among generations or the amateur and the experienced. It also does more to scare away people who may have just chanced upon a forum.

jim

Jim Rimmer
06-02-2010, 1:25 PM
I agree with the sentiments already posted. The mods jump on things pretty quick and those who don't like it seem to disappear pretty quickly. That leaves the good folks to share and answer questions. One thing that amazes me is the number of times that the same people will answer the same basic question when someone new shows up. It's never a "search and find it" but a patient explanation and sharing of hard learned wisdom (experience).

Thanks Keith and all the mods. And all those who have answered my questions.

Brian Ashton
06-03-2010, 6:37 AM
I endured a forum in my neck of the woods for a number of years and then someone there mentioned SMC and the moment i got on it was like a breath of fresh air. No deliberate antagonists, no arm chair experts, morons that like to throw around the insults, and idiots that like to take shots at the knowledgeable...

I only hang around there now waiting for an order to finalise and then I will shake the dust from my keyboard and be done with them.

It's interesting that some of the idiots from the other forum lurk here but keep quiet...