PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Wilton 79A / 79C or the 78A /78C?

Joe Jensen
05-30-2010, 1:51 AM
I am shopping for a vice for a new utilility bench. The Wilton vises look really nice. Does anyone use them?
Is it worth the extra money for a 10W by 13 opening, or is 7 Wide by 10 opening enough? I can't really tell the difference between the A and C models, can anyone explain?

Bruce Page
05-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Joe, I have looked at the Wilton, both the 79A/79C look like very nice vises but pricey. If the price doesn’t sting you too much I’m sure you would be happy with either. I have the large Jorgensen on my bench and I will say this, bigger is better.

Stephen Cherry
05-30-2010, 4:22 PM
for a and c, is one quick release and the other not?

Joe Jensen
05-30-2010, 5:23 PM
I did some more web work and the "A" is quick release and the "C" is not. Oddly, Amazon has the "A" cheaper than the "C" but the list price for the "A" is higher :confused:

John Schreiber
05-30-2010, 6:18 PM
I've got a 7" 78A as my tail vise and I'm very satisfied with it. It feels completely secure and I have had no problem with wracking. It requires just half a turn to unlock and it slides easily and locks securely. The tilting jaw functions as a full width dog. The ability to clamp at an angle is not needed all the time, but it's real handy when it is.

If I were using it as my primary vise, I'd probably go with the 10" version.

george wilson
05-30-2010, 6:45 PM
I believe that everything Wilton offers is now Asian made,and extremely over priced. They have been running on the name for many years. I'm just as happy with my Taiwan made quick release vise which was about $55.00 at the time.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-30-2010, 7:31 PM
I am with George on that one. No need to over pay for a straight jaw woodworkers vise. Look at the Asian made knockoff of the infamous Emmert patternmakers vise. That's a lot of vice for a couple hundred bucks.
fmr