PDA

View Full Version : curly maple pen

brian watts
05-30-2010, 12:38 AM
a good friend sent me some blanks this week and turn this maple today. it is a comfort pen kit from penn st..iam learning on every one iam doing. little different then turkey calls . good way to use scraps up..thanks for looking brian

John Keeton
05-30-2010, 6:04 AM
Nice pen, Brian! I love curly maple, and if looks good on this style. You should try dye with one and see what you think. You can get some neat effects with the dye and curly maple.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2010, 8:21 AM
Really nice pen. I love the curly maple. John is right. Get some RIT dye and give it a go. You will be surprised.

Karl Card
05-30-2010, 8:24 AM
I like curly maple but sometimes it is a PITA to sand properly. mainly on flatwork it seems.

I did make a pen one time of curly maple and redheart and those two really llook nice together...

Nice pen..:)

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2010, 9:36 AM
Very nice looking pen Brian! Looks like it really grabs the light! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2010, 9:43 AM
Beautiful Curly Maple Pen! I really like the comfort pens... seems like I sell more of them than any other.
Well done!! :)

Paul Douglass
05-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Nice looking pen and I'm a big fan of the curly maple. Food coloring will dye it real nicely also.

Aaron Wingert
05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Great looking pen Brian. For those of us that can't seem to throw away scraps of figured lumber, pens are a great way to use it up!

David E Keller
05-30-2010, 3:40 PM
Nice job. I agree with the others about coloring... give it a shot sometime if you want to try something a little different. My wife loves the really colorful dyes on curly maple.

Steve Bearden
05-30-2010, 8:50 PM
Sweet one bud. Oh and you got me hooked on these things. Oh well could be worse. keep up the good work.

brian watts
05-30-2010, 10:01 PM
steve i told you the other day this things are a blast to make.. glad your having fun making them..

James Combs
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
...good way to use scraps up... brian

Scraps!!:eek: Surely you jest. There is no such thing. Between miniature funnels, pendants, pen blanks, and 10 gallon hats every piece of wood has a use.:D Even the saw dust can be use as a matching filler.;)

Great looking pen BTW.;)

brian watts
05-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Scraps!!:eek: Surely you jest. There is no such thing. Between miniature funnels, pendants, pen blanks, and 10 gallon hats every piece of wood has a use.:D Even the saw dust can be use as a matching filler.;)

Great looking pen BTW.;)

my friend was been burning all of it UNTIL now..lol.. i need to learn how to make a bowl out of these small stuff.