PDA

View Full Version : Lathe

John Runciman
11-23-2004, 5:46 PM
I am debating between a NOVA DVR300 and a Jet 1642. Any suggestions??

Steve Inniss
11-23-2004, 6:30 PM
John, I can't compare the two as I don't have the Jet, but the DVR has been outstanding and I would buy it again. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer about it.
Lots of people around here have the Jet so I'm sure you'll get good info.
-Steve

Michael Stafford
11-23-2004, 7:36 PM
I also have the Nova. It is my first lathe other than a Shopsmith so I am not the ultimate authority but I find it to be sturdy and well made. No problems with it after almost 2 years of use.

John Runciman
11-23-2004, 8:02 PM
Steve Innis,
Thanks for responding. Is there a support system for the Nova DDR? How is reliability factor?

John Runciman
11-23-2004, 8:07 PM
Thanks for responding. Positive that your NOVA has been trouble free. Do you have the DVR version with the computerized controls or the standard pulley drive?

Michael Stafford
11-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for responding. Positive that your NOVA has been trouble free. Do you have the DVR version with the computerized controls or the standard pulley drive?
John,

I misspoke. When I first got my lathe I had a problem with the switch. I called the distributor and they overnighted a replacement switch. Since that time I have had not a single problem. I have turned pens and I have turned bowls up to 14" x 5". I like the tool. I did not buy the stand from the company but rather built a heavy wooden stand of laminated 2X stock. It is rock solid. I'm sure there are others who would know better than I about lathes as I have relatively limited experience.

Cecil Arnold
11-23-2004, 11:21 PM
You might consider the PM 3520A, you can get it from General Industrial Supply for only a few more bucks than the Jet.

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-24-2004, 1:05 AM
What makes the PM better than the JET? And, assuming the Nova is more expensive than either of the other two, what makes it morth the extra bucks? Earlier this year I bought the JET 1442, primarily for table legs and other spindle work. Based on my limited use, I can't see any reason why a different one would be 'better' for a general purpose lathe...

KC

sascha gast
11-24-2004, 3:52 AM
What makes the PM better than the JET? And, assuming the Nova is more expensive than either of the other two, what makes it morth the extra bucks? Earlier this year I bought the JET 1442, primarily for table legs and other spindle work. Based on my limited use, I can't see any reason why a different one would be 'better' for a general purpose lathe...

KC

i was just in the same situation. i started turning about 2 months ago and outgrew my jet mini quickly. it's a cool lathe, but not for real turning. my choices were same as yours and i even included the PM 3520. first i thought the 1442, but reviews showed happy owners, but still some vibration. the 1642 has 16" swing, the PM has 20". both lathes weigh in at about 450 pounds and definetely are great, but in a garage shop, i still wanted some kind of mobility, since i didn't have the designated space for a heavy lathe that would never be moved. so i bought the DVR on saturday, went to woodcraft and bought it. that night i was up 'til 5am, turned sunday and monday a total of 8 hours a day. this lathe is awesome. it is rock solid, no vibration whatsoever and it's heavy, about 250 pounds, but i can alway put sand bags down in the stand to make it heavier for big pieces and when i don't need it, i just store the bags somewhere else. so far i only turned 10" blanks and even an unbalanced load won't shake this lathe. i couldn't be happier. i paid about $2100 for it including stand and taxes, the 1642 would need to be ordered and the PM is about $2700. the PM is definetely bigger, but i didn't see the advantage in this monster. the DVR technology is great, push of a button makes all the speed changes.
i am so happy and i am going in the shop right now and make a bowl.

take care

sascha

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 8:20 AM
so i bought the DVR on saturday, went to woodcraft and bought it. that night i was up 'til 5am, turned sunday and monday a total of 8 hours a day. this lathe is awesome. it is rock solid, no vibration whatsoever and it's heavy, about 250 pounds, but i can alway put sand bags down in the stand to make it heavier for big pieces and when i don't need it, i just store the bags somewhere else. so far i only turned 10" blanks and even an unbalanced load won't shake this lathe. i couldn't be happier. i paid about $2100 for it including stand and taxes, the 1642 would need to be ordered and the PM is about $2700. the PM is definetely bigger, but i didn't see the advantage in this monster. the DVR technology is great, push of a button makes all the speed changes.
i am so happy and i am going in the shop right now and make a bowl.

take care

sascha

WEIGHT just a minuette there, Sascha! Is this a gloat in sheep's clothing or did I miss the official gloat, complete with pics?! :eek: :confused: Dang it...Where ARE those picture cops when you need them?! :) :cool:

Steve Inniss
11-24-2004, 8:26 AM
John,
I'm not sure - do you mean Teknatool's support for customers?
As far as reliability, the DVR has been flawless over 5 years. Among it's more challenging duties was the rough turning of 30 or so 80 - 100 lb frozen oak(square cut logs to bowls- I did not have access to my bandsaw for a year, it was in Massachusetts and I was in Ontario). Here's a couple of the frozen log threads: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6458 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6461
I have it on a stand which is partly cast iron with a stretcher and is bolted to the floor of the shop. When doing one of these, the whole building shakes at first.
My only complaint, a picky one at best is that they(at least the early ones like mine) default to 1500 rpm when powered on - takes all of 8 seconds or so to reduce the speed and all of course without belts. -Steve

sascha gast
11-25-2004, 1:46 PM
yes it is a gloat. got the lathe last saturday. love it. i'll post pics soon.here's a link to my stuff

www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albur05&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=8

sascha