PDA

View Full Version : Sqirrels in a cage

Darin Higginbotham
05-29-2010, 5:00 PM
Just curious how hard it is to change the bearings in the blower portion of a sqirrel cage? The moter and blower are seperate if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Bill Huber
05-29-2010, 6:54 PM
It could be really easy or it could be hard it all depends on how its made.
Some of them have pillow blocks and those are real easy to change others have pressed in to a frame and those are not as easy.

Could you post some pictures of the blower, I am sure that would help.

Ron Kellison
05-29-2010, 7:19 PM
Why don't you go talk to a few HVAC companies and see if you can pick up a used squirrel cage? I've built several air filters using used components that the HVAC company was throwing out after they exchanged a furnace unit. I've gotten all of them for free, often with a 1/6 to 1/4 HP motor still attached! The last time I did it the owner told me that I had to agree to take at least two of them!

I checked the specs on a couple of them and found they were rated for 100,000 hours of continuous use. Most of them were pulled out after 20 years of service and had received an estimated 25,000 hours of use. All I've ever had to do was clean them up and they all ran just fine. Give it a try...what's the worst that could happen?

Regards,

Ron

Darin Higginbotham
05-30-2010, 3:37 PM
I had figured that finding a old squirrel cage was goin to be easy to but it seems that this area there is a company that buys up the old ones and reconditions them. I found one but the bearings are shot, I will post a picture of it when I have it in my possession in the next week.