PDA

View Full Version : No. 8 Walnut HF w/Curly Maple Accents

James Combs
05-29-2010, 4:04 PM
Here is the final version of my walnut/curly maple HF with no pedestal. My more knowledgeable half (aka LOML) has dubbed it the "Spinning Top From Outer Space":eek:;)

Vitals:
Material - Locally grown black walnut + curly maple (not sure of origin - from local sawmill)
Height - 9-1/8" to tip of finial
Diameter - 6"
Vessel Ht. - 2.25"
Wall Thickness - 1/8" all except at maple ring (about 1/4" there)
Finish - 4 coats of med. CA with a Briwax final coat.

Construction was in three pieces; two pieces of 5/4 walnut with the curly maple ring sandwiched between the two walnut "platters".

The inside of the platters was finished prior to assembly and final turning. The outside is still rough in this photo

As always critical comments are solicited and welcome.:o Will also accept praise.:D

Dennis Ford
05-29-2010, 5:49 PM
Very interesting. Good workmanship. I love the HF and the finial separately although I am not sure about them together.

Harvey Ghesser
05-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Very Beautiful, JD!:D

It came out really, really nice!

Robert McGowen
05-29-2010, 6:41 PM
I have to agree with the above post about the hollow form and the finial both being nice, but maybe not together. I personally would have a smaller and thinner finial on the hollow form. One other thing that I noticed on the previous post and also this one, is that there appears to be a flat spot on the top of the hollow form. It could just be the photos, but it appears the same in all of them and really catches the eye.
I like the materials and the way that you combined them though. Keep up the good work.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2010, 9:26 PM
You sure put a lot of thought and effort into creating this piece and it shows! Very nice!

Have to admit that I find the finial - as nice as it is - a little overpowering for the size of HF that it is sitting on. Nice detail work and finishing - just seems that the overall size is a bit large.

Very nice work though and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

David E Keller
05-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Hard to go wrong with walnut and curly maple...

I agree with Robert about the finial size relative to the remainder of the piece and the flat area near the lid. The finial form is really nice.

It's a very creative piece, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Michelle Rich
05-30-2010, 7:06 AM
you obviously took great care making this. It is quite lovely.

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2010, 8:19 AM
James the HF is a beauty. Love the maple and walnut. I agree with the others and probably would have made the finial about 1/2 that size and a little more delicate. Great piece though.

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2010, 9:41 AM
JD, I like the whole thing... but then, what do I know? I think it's a beauty... :D

James Combs
05-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with the above post about the hollow form and the finial both being nice, but maybe not together. I personally would have a smaller and thinner finial on the hollow form. One other thing that I noticed on the previous post and also this one, is that there appears to be a flat spot on the top of the hollow form. It could just be the photos, but it appears the same in all of them and really catches the eye.
I like the materials and the way that you combined them though. Keep up the good work.

You sure put a lot of thought and effort into creating this piece and it shows! Very nice!

Have to admit that I find the finial - as nice as it is - a little overpowering for the size of HF that it is sitting on. Nice detail work and finishing - just seems that the overall size is a bit large.

Very nice work though and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Hard to go wrong with walnut and curly maple...

I agree with Robert about the finial size relative to the remainder of the piece and the flat area near the lid. The finial form is really nice.

It's a very creative piece, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

James the HF is a beauty. Love the maple and walnut. I agree with the others and probably would have made the finial about 1/2 that size and a little more delicate. Great piece though.

I have to agree with all of you folks, after I got it together without the foot/pedestal the finial seem too large to me also. However, what is done is done and I all ready have an offer to buy on it so maybe the finial isn't too big after all:rolleyes:. Actually when I was turning the finial it seemed a lot smaller then it turned out.

JD, I like the whole thing... but then, what do I know? I think it's a beauty... :D

Allen I think you know at least as much as my buyer.:)

John Keeton
05-31-2010, 7:54 AM
JD, for what it is worth, I like the larger finials on these low pieces - just seems to lift them a little.

You may recall the one I did previously, similar to yours, but kind of a reversal of woods with the walnut/curly maple. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144397&d=1267995951

Several of the posters commented on the finial being too large, but I still like that piece. And, apparently your buyer did, as well! Congrats on a sale - more than I have done!

James Combs
05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
JD, for what it is worth, I like the larger finials on these low pieces - just seems to lift them a little.

You may recall the one I did previously, similar to yours, but kind of a reversal of woods with the walnut/curly maple. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144397&d=1267995951

Several of the posters commented on the finial being too large, but I still like that piece. And, apparently your buyer did, as well! Congrats on a sale - more than I have done!

It looks like I ripped off your design and just reversed the wood species:( but I honestly do not recall seeing that specific HF of yours before. What was it's number and when was the original posting? I want to see if I commented on it.