PDA

View Full Version : Granite-Marble Vendors?? (alternative to Lasersketch)

Larry Bratton
05-29-2010, 3:51 PM
I have always purchased my granite and marble from Lasersketch. I have always been and still am satisfied with the products and service. I would, however, like to have an alternate source that would have a somewhat different product selection. Any recommendations?

Todd Koessl
05-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I used to have a vendor in California but they only had 12x12 tiles. If you are interested in that I can try and track the info down. One thing I did find out after buying some marble from Lasersketch was that Lasersketch's marble was waaaay softer. I haven't engraved marble in a while but the settings were completely different. The marble from California engraved at roughly 100% power/60% speed and Lasersketch's was 40% power/100% speed.
I guess my point is if you get marble from multiple vendors you will probably need laser perameters for each one.

Larry Bratton
05-30-2010, 1:55 PM
Todd:
I am totally amazed at the lack of vendors. Looks like Lasersketch has got a good thing going. They have a product they call "hard marble" in addition to the others. The 12x12 tiles would be good, but the freight from California to the east would probably kill me. I bought 2 cases of 10pcs of 5x7 marble and granite from LS and the freight was $17.00,not too bad, but they are in Illinois I think.

Chris DeGerolamo
05-30-2010, 2:58 PM
We go through The Tile Shop. Not sure how many locations they have off hand but by picking up our 12x12 granite, we save on shipping and additionally we have a contractor's discount.

Mike Christen
05-30-2010, 9:54 PM
I used to have a vendor in California but they only had 12x12 tiles. If you are interested in that I can try and track the info down. One thing I did find out after buying some marble from Lasersketch was that Lasersketch's marble was waaaay softer. I haven't engraved marble in a while but the settings were completely different. The marble from California engraved at roughly 100% power/60% speed and Lasersketch's was 40% power/100% speed.
I guess my point is if you get marble from multiple vendors you will probably need laser perameters for each one.

Hi Todd

I would interested where you got it in California if you have time to track it down.

Thanks

rich shepard
05-31-2010, 12:39 AM
I get mine 12 x 12 black marble from the local tile store. Not Color Tile but a builders specialty store and they order me what I need. You might give Rebecca or Heide a call and see if they will ship.
http://www.metztile.com/
rich

Larry Bratton
06-01-2010, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like there are just not many sources out there for anything like the plaques and types of granite and marble that LS has.
I have some of their new MB Granite coming in on Thursday. It is said to give as much detail as marble, but is hard as granite. I'll try and post some results. There was a short article in the Corel Pro site this month about it.

Joseph Tovar
06-02-2010, 1:58 AM
Hi Todd

I would interested where you got it in California if you have time to track it down.

Thanks

I'd also be interested to where in California you purchase the material.

Thanks!

Todd Koessl
06-02-2010, 9:10 PM
Mike,
I looked for the business card and can't find it anywhere. It was a tile shop in the LA area that carried black marble. Sorry
Todd

Mike Christen
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Todd

Thanks for looking, i appreciate it

Dave Gates
06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been happy using N&R http://www.etchedstone.net/