PDA

View Full Version : First Farmers' Market - Not too bad!

Matt Hutchinson
05-29-2010, 3:28 PM
I brought pieces to one of the local farmers' market today. They allow artisans in, but only if there is room (farmers have the priority of course). After staying up late and getting up early, I arrived in the morning to learn there were no spaces. BUMMER! But....

Often venders will sell out or leave early in the day, and I was able to set up around 11 am. I probably missed about 3/4ths of the patrons, but I still managed to sell 3 items, and hand out a bunch of business cards. So for no money out of pocket, and maybe a quarter of the patrons, I'll happily take the $55 and run. :D

It tells me that I should be there every weekend if possible, cuz not only will I probably have good sales if I start at 8 am, but I know others who have gotten a lot of "post market" business.

Hutch

P.S. I was selling spheres, scoops, rolling pins, bud vases, bowls, bottle stoppers, and mortars and pestles. The ratio was a little off.....too many bowls.

Randy Gazda
05-29-2010, 3:39 PM
I have considered setting up at the farmers market in town, just not sure I want to give up my Saturday mornings.

Can I ask what you sell your rolling pins for? Bowl?

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2010, 9:27 PM
Matt - congrats on your sales! Hope the market leads to some additional commission work for you!

Matt Hutchinson
05-29-2010, 9:37 PM
Just to give a little history, this is a market that has been active since 1922 in the same location! It's really cool. And even though I only came away with a mere $55, I know from a friend there is potential for many times that in a few hours.

Anywho, the pins I had at $12. They were 20" French style. The bowls were much more, and I expect most of those kind of sales would be from calls afterwards. Most people don't plan on dropping $60 on up at a farmer's market for one item! The range of bowls I had displayed went from about $60 up to $435.00. I didn't expect to sell the expensive ones, just wanted to show my abilities hoping to glean future sales.

Hutch