PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl HF ("One With Everything")

George Guadiane
05-29-2010, 2:25 PM
This was going to be a part of my "One with everything" series as it has ambrosia, curl, burl, bark and even a little GREEN spalting...
Unfortunately, it also has some BAD tool marks (bad tool use???) on the bottom from when I tried to part it off.
I was surprised and pleased with having gotten it thin (bark on both sides in many places) without losing the bark.
It had already started to go out of shape, and I'm sure that added to my troubles, but I still like the piece... It is just too thin at the foot to fix. In fact, this was the last cut on the previous "fix" from the FIRST mess I made.

Water based poly finish
Height: 5 3/4 inches
Diameter: 8 1/2 inches

As Always, All Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.

John Keeton
05-29-2010, 2:41 PM
George, you are right - it just about has it all! Very nice wood, and the form looks nice. Would it be possible to use a donut chuck to get the bottom cleaned up?

George Guadiane
05-29-2010, 2:46 PM
George, you are right - it just about has it all! Very nice wood, and the form looks nice. Would it be possible to use a donut chuck to get the bottom cleaned up?
I had it well secured, I just used bad tool technique TWICE. The piece is so thin and out of round at this point, that I don't see any way to make it better, short of hand sanding...
OK, maybe if it stays around long enough, I'll work on that as a concept.

David DeCristoforo
05-29-2010, 4:08 PM
Yup... that's got it all. Now just take a seat in front of the TV with your hollowform and some sandpaper, put on a ball game and have at those nasty tool marks. They'll be gone before the game is over...

Harvey Ghesser
05-29-2010, 6:14 PM
George,
Nice HF. Real nice HF.:)

charlie knighton
05-29-2010, 7:23 PM
very nice, you always know where you coulda, woulda, ....but since you have already put finish on it, i would just enjoy what you have, it very nice, we do not want to read about a launch or explosion at your place

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2010, 7:35 PM
Very nice hollow form George! Beautiful wood!

I would just use my drill sander and gently work on the gouges. I wouldn't worry about it - great looking form no matter what!

David E Keller
05-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Great looking piece of wood and a nice shape. It's a shame about the tool marks, but I think it's nice enough that a little hand sanding ought to be tried.

Michelle Rich
05-30-2010, 7:15 AM
this piece is worth more work to save it and make it divine!! Get the sandpaper out & limber up that arm!!

Karl Card
05-30-2010, 7:20 AM
I just cant see myself doing a HF just yet. I can see me making alot of wonderful scraps if I do. Maybe I could cut it in half, turn it then glue it back together...lol

Nice piece there..

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2010, 8:15 AM
George great looking HF out of some really nice wood.

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2010, 9:48 AM
George, you always make some beautiful pieces. It's okay to have a few goofs!
That said... hand sand... ball game... makes sense to me. :D

George Guadiane
05-30-2010, 10:23 AM
OK, OK!;)
I didn't ask for a vote, exactly, but there IS a strong consensus that I should give this piece more of my time and make it "all that it can be."

For what it's worth, I know that you're all correct... I was feeling pretty defeated when this happened and wondered if I couldn't find one more way to "waste time and screw up."
I'm over that now and will post pictures of my success when it's finished.
Thanks for your comments, your support and your unwavering assertion of the obvious - "YOU CAN DO IT!"

Mark Burge
05-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Since "one with everything" is the Zen of woodworking, just get in to the Tao of hand sanding and you will achieve HF Nirvana.

Nathan Hawkes
05-31-2010, 2:28 AM
This is quite impressive! Not only the differentiated figure "zones" in the piece, but keeping the bark as well just makes it even nicer. Did you saturate the bark with CA to keep it on, or were you just lucky?

George Guadiane
05-31-2010, 1:52 PM
Since "one with everything" is the Zen of woodworking, just get in to the Tao of hand sanding and you will achieve HF Nirvana.

:eek:LOL:D Your gift of enlightenment has shown me the path where there was no path.

This is quite impressive! Not only the differentiated figure "zones" in the piece, but keeping the bark as well just makes it even nicer. Did you saturate the bark with CA to keep it on, or were you just lucky?

Under the advice of my attorney, I decline to answer on the grounds that I don't remember. I THINK it was without CA, but I had been using it on another project, and I might have used it here too. OK, I looked and now I remember...
I used it around the edges, but I didn't flood the whole bark surface. I did the edges so that I could get a smooth transition (I was getting some pulled up spots)