PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 bearings?

Byron Trantham
05-29-2010, 9:33 AM
I have a 7518 and the bearings are going out. Can they be replaced by me or would I have to "send it in"? Is it worth the repair? A new motor is $300!

Any help will be appreciated.

mickey cassiba
05-29-2010, 10:48 AM
The top bearing is a piece of cake, the lower(collet end), not so much.Take it easy when removing the bearing.The fan is quite fragile. If you break it, you'll need a new armature. We cut the bearing off with a air cutoff tool rather than trying to heat or press them off.
Good luck
Mick

Van Huskey
05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I am just curious how much have you used the 7518 and how old it is. I assume it lives in a table? Also I am not even sure of the dates but is this one from the time they cut back on bearing quality, the CNC folks had issues with them overheating, subsequently fixed as I understand it.

james mcgrew
05-29-2010, 12:24 PM
many cnc routers replace the bearings for the pc 3.25 hp routers and get plenty of life from them, i get mine from mann tool 803 252 7777

Jerome Stanek
05-29-2010, 1:16 PM
I replaced my bearings in about 1 hour. Just be careful on the lower bearing. I used an impact wrench to loosen the nut. You need to snap it lose with the impact. I know you can get bearings from shopbot or any dewalt repair center.

Byron Trantham
05-29-2010, 1:54 PM
I am just curious how much have you used the 7518 and how old it is. I assume it lives in a table? Also I am not even sure of the dates but is this one from the time they cut back on bearing quality, the CNC folks had issues with them overheating, subsequently fixed as I understand it.

I've used it a lot. I bought in 2002 from woodpeckers with their PRL. Can't complain I guess.:D