PDA

View Full Version : What GLUE for segmented work

Donny Lawson
05-29-2010, 8:29 AM
I am thinking of making a square bowl with different wood types and was wondering about the glue. Would "Titebond 2" glue work for this?,or is there something else you use for your glue ups that's better?
Donny

Michelle Rich
05-29-2010, 9:14 AM
what will they be used for? and will they be washed? I use any of the tightbonds on "art" ..epoxy on something that you suspect that someone will leave in a sink of water! Or gorilla;)

Richard Madison
05-29-2010, 9:24 AM
Original Titebond or 2 is most used by segmenters. For salad bowls or other utility pieces that may get wet/washed some use Titebond 3.

Randy Gazda
05-29-2010, 9:58 AM
The class I took this winter, the instructor has been using Titebond II for many years. I have used it for years to make cutting boards. I have given many cutting boards away and recently learned my sister-in-law has been running her cutting board through the wishwasher and it is still together. The only time I use Titebond III is when I need mor time to align parts.

David Warkentin
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I use titebond II also. Course I hope my stuff doesn't get put in the dishwasher! David

Robert McGowen
05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I have never used anything but Titebond II and have had good results with it.

Donny Lawson
05-29-2010, 1:43 PM
Thanks, I have plenty of titebond 2 so after I finish with a little flatwork I will glue up some boards for my bowl.The bowl will just be something to show and learn on.I've never made a square bowl but I saw someone at out local woodturning club make one last week and it made me want to try one of my own.
Donny

Bill Bulloch
05-29-2010, 5:56 PM
I use Titebond Original for most of my segments. At $15.97 a 3.785 Liter bottle it is hard to beat. Although, I did noticed that Titebond II was only $15.93 for the same size at The Home Depot.
The owner of thewoodyard.com (just three miles up the road) gave me a 16 oz bottle of "EcoGlue". The jury is still out on it. It is a white glue, not as thick as Titebond with about the same grabbing power. I have only used it on one project. Is anyone familiar with it?

Tim Boger
05-29-2010, 6:46 PM
I use Titebond II and III more for the color consideration than anything else. I would expect that 99% of the segmented pieces I make will never see water so it really is about which glue matches my wood selections best. I say for the most part Titebond III would be what I use more often simply because I use a good bit of Koa and Walnut ..... never have any problems with either.

Tim