PDA

View Full Version : addiction

Michelle Rich
05-29-2010, 7:29 AM
I admit I am powerless over my addiction to turning.....what else would compel one to make as ridiculous a chair as this one?:eek:. Maple and 2 colors of milk paint..

John Keeton
05-29-2010, 7:36 AM
Michelle, that is extremely well done!! Not only are you a superb woodturner, apparently you have good flatwork skills as well. Building a chair is the ultimate challenge, and you pulled it off beautifully!

Tony De Masi
05-29-2010, 7:40 AM
WOW. Very nicely done Michelle. I don't think I'd have the patience for that. I made one chair out of flat stack a few years ago and I don't care to make another.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2010, 8:21 AM
That is beautiful. I am like Tony and made one chair a few years ago. No desire to do another. That is really well done.

Rob Cunningham
05-29-2010, 8:27 AM
That's a beautiful chair Michelle. I've built some chair and sofa frames for upholstery but never a finished chair. Well done.

Richard Madison
05-29-2010, 9:26 AM
Nice work Michelle. Sure looks as though it was made by a turner.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2010, 9:38 AM
WOW! Somebody's been holding out on us! Beautiful work!

I haven't tried a chair yet but can respect the level of difficulty to turn everything to match! Very nice work!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Paul Douglass
05-29-2010, 9:50 AM
That is some beautiful work. Not only beautiful but a LOT of work. Ya, I made a chair, a Morris chair, I'm proud of it but would never do it again.

I wouldn't set it next to your chair either. Mine wouldn't look so good to me anymore.

willie sobat
05-29-2010, 9:52 AM
I wouldn't call it ridiculous! Very nice.

Thom Sturgill
05-29-2010, 9:55 AM
Very nice indeed! I toss the idea around occasionally, but haven't had the nerve to try one yet. And I'm sure it would be ONE even though SWMBO would want a set.

Michelle Rich
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
thank you, gentlemen. Nice to get kudos from this group. Lots of years of practice & many many stools and cockeyed chairs, got me to this point. Appreciate ya'll taking time to comment.

Harvey Ghesser
05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
That is just awsome! Wow!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Michelle,

Nice chair! Lots of spindle work there. Tough to make things that similar! Nicely done Lady!

Scott Hackler
05-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Very nice chair Michelle. Im curious to know if you use a duplicator or if it was all freehand. I have thought about making a chair or stool and was curious as to how different people make the copies of thier legs and spindles.

Michelle Rich
05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Very nice chair Michelle. Im curious to know if you use a duplicator or if it was all freehand. I have thought about making a chair or stool and was curious as to how different people make the copies of thier legs and spindles. do not own a duplicator..thanks for your question

alex carey
05-29-2010, 2:08 PM
dang michelle, thats pretty impressive, takes a ton of patience, most of us turners don't have that kind of patience, thats why we turn. Insta gratification.

Joyce Baldauf
05-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Absolutely stunning!!!! Love the seat work as well.:D:D:D

George Guadiane
05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Stunning chair, nicely done!

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
It's really nice to see some top notch spindle turning for a change. It seems like bowls and hollow forms prevail around here to the point where you almost forget that there are other things you can do on a lathe. That's a sweet chair. Looks like a nice job on the seat too...

Curt Fuller
05-30-2010, 2:07 PM
You could be addicted to worse things. I would love to build an entire set of chairs very similar to this one.

David E Keller
05-30-2010, 3:35 PM
Beautiful chair. Great symmetry. Very nicely done.

brian watts
05-30-2010, 7:08 PM
WOW...Very nicely done Michelle.

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2010, 7:28 PM
Waddaya mean, ridiculous? That's beautiful.

Sean Hughto
05-30-2010, 9:23 PM
Fantastic work. I too appreciate seeing such inspiring spindle work, not to mention chair building!

Michelle Rich
05-31-2010, 5:48 AM
Thank you ladies & gents..I too see very little spindle work anymore. I love bowls and forms, but good spindle work is disappearing. Funny, over on WOW I got awarded" Picture of the Day" becau se of spindle work. It's rarer than hen's teeth. I think it may be because we all probably started with spindle turning, and somehow think that when we go to bowl turning, we have graduated to a higher plane???? If any of you have secret spindle work, and haven't posted it, let's see it!:D

Karl Card
05-31-2010, 9:02 AM
addiction - i dont smoke, i dont drink but dont touch my wood...lol

I am looking forward to making something with spindles and have quite a few stored up but right now have nothing requiring them.

Very nice chair and I hope to have the patience to make something like that one day...