PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a Toothed Jack blade

Rick Markham
05-29-2010, 2:37 AM
So I just won a Lie Nielsen no 5 Jack on the bay, I saved enough money over a new one to justify the purchase of the toothed blade. My question for y'all is there any special techniques that I need to use for sharpening toothed blades? I am largely assuming that they are sharpened the same as a normal plane iron, Since I have never had a chance to inspect one, I have no frame of reference.

Stephen Shepherd
05-29-2010, 7:41 AM
Rick,

It is sharpened just like a regular plane iron and with no secondary or back bevel. Get the back flat then work on the bevel.

Stephen

john brenton
05-29-2010, 10:15 AM
if you hone side to side...I have no idea how to explain it. My brain isn't working yet this morning.

When you hone make sure to hone going forward and backward, not side to side because you can break the teeth off. I just broke a couple teeth on a new toothing plane and I felt like a massive douche. Its an old iron that has survived god knows how long and its not even in my hand a few days and I broke some teeth.

Rick Markham
05-29-2010, 1:54 PM
if you hone side to side...I have no idea how to explain it. My brain isn't working yet this morning.

When you hone make sure to hone going forward and backward, not side to side because you can break the teeth off. I just broke a couple teeth on a new toothing plane and I felt like a massive douche. Its an old iron that has survived god knows how long and its not even in my hand a few days and I broke some teeth.

Gotcha John! I understand completely! Thanks Y'all I figured that was the answer!