PDA

View Full Version : Mill run Birch

Keith Westfall
05-29-2010, 1:07 AM
Is 1" mill run (their words) Birch worth 1.50 / ft?

Haven't seen it yet.

Thanks.

Keith

Van Huskey
05-29-2010, 1:15 AM
Is 1" mill run (their words) Birch worth 1.50 / ft?

Haven't seen it yet.

Thanks.

Keith

Really hard to say since mill run can vary a LOT and I have no idea what you pay for different grades on Birch up there. What do you usually pay for other grades there?

Keith Westfall
05-29-2010, 1:18 AM
I haven't really gotten to the point of buying a lot of wood yet :( Think this is quite a bit cheaper than other wood, but don't know enough to compare...

Is birch a good thing to build out of?

Gerry Grzadzinski
05-29-2010, 8:56 AM
Birch can have a lot of color variation, from very, very light to a medium brown color. Often in the same board. If that works for you, then birch is a nice wood to work with.

Van Huskey
05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
If you like the look of it you won't be out a lot of money. The main thing I would watch if you are buying bulk (not choosing each board) is you don't get stuck with a lot of shorts if you plan to build things you don't need them for. Nothing wrong with birch just be aware you will probably have to work pretty hard to get decent size defect free boards, mill run wood also tends to be hard to finish ofetn a lot of blotching etc.

Mark A Johnson
05-29-2010, 8:59 PM
I have some really nice flame birch that I paid much more then that. Its all in the quality of the wood. When your shopping for something unique for a project or client the sky is the limit.