PDA

View Full Version : No. Eight Walnut HF w/Curly Maple Accents Quandary

James Combs
05-28-2010, 10:54 PM
This is not my official posting for No. 8 hence the spelling of 8 vs the number. I will post a numeric version later. And in case you go looking I forgot to number 6 (Inside-Out Ornament) and 7 (Natural Edge Birds Mouth).

I am posting this because I am in a quandary.

I turned this with the intention of not having any leg or pedestal but when I saw it together with the temporary glued on tenon I says to my self "Gee whiz that looks pretty good, maybe I should put a pedestal in the accent curly maple on it. The LOML has said more or less "no pedestal" but I am kind of leaning toward a pedestal.

What do you folks think?

Here it is simulated without a pedestal.

I will give all the vitals in the final posting.

Robert McGowen
05-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Listen to your wife! :D

Don Alexander
05-28-2010, 11:25 PM
you can never go wrong listening to your wife :D:D

if nothing else it helps keep her happy and thats worth its weight in gold :)

David DeCristoforo
05-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, there's a lot to be said for domestic tranquility. Nonetheless, I think this would benefit from a pedestal to counterbalance the tall finial. But I think I would use the same wood as the finial instead of maple.

Karl Card
05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I think it would look nice with a pedestal if the pedestal had a ring of maple right under the base and then go down with the brown wood.

Maybe have some type of marks as the finial does. just a thought...

Nicer than what I could right now...

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
James listen to the wife. I really like second pic's.

alex carey
05-29-2010, 12:24 AM
im with the wife, no pedestal, having said that, maybe its just because I can't see the final product that i lean this way.

Michelle Rich
05-29-2010, 6:59 AM
the problem is the "pedestal" that is under it now is just a tenon & does not fit at all..I vote for no base, but what if you tried legs? or different base styles and then asked the question again? I always vote with the wives!!!:cool:

John Keeton
05-29-2010, 7:47 AM
JD, as you probably know from my past turnings, I like this form. In fact, I intend to do another similar turning in the near future.

Personally, I do not think a foot/pedestal/base adds anything, and as usual, the opinion of the wife is correct! Notwithstanding Michelle's obvious bias!!:D

Nice work on the finial, too!! And, my two favorite woods!

Nick Amandus
05-29-2010, 8:08 AM
Just make a pedestal you think you might like to see under it, show the wife, maybe repost for another round of opinions and go from there. Just don't attach the pedestal until your sure you like it. If you don't like it on this project, at least you'll have a pedestal for another one.

James Combs
05-29-2010, 9:41 AM
Looks like the consensus while not overwhelming is "no pedestal" so I am going to stay with my original intent.:) Besides, not having to make a pedestal and the associated hassle of coming up with a re-chucking method to ensure the pedestal is centered etc, etc is much easier.;) Of course pleasing the wife had nothing to do with my decision:rolleyes:

Look for a new posting tonight with all the vitals.

Thanks everyone for your input, it is much appreciated.

Paul Douglass
05-29-2010, 9:45 AM
Which ever, it is still a beautiful piece.

Peter Fabricius
05-29-2010, 10:06 AM
James, that is a beautiful piece. I would also go with your wife's choice, the piece looks well balanced sitting low on the table.
The only comment is on the size of the fineal. IMHO, it looks a little tall and large in diameter. Beautiful shape and blending of the curves!!!!
Peter F.

Frank Van Atta
05-29-2010, 1:23 PM
Even though you have already made up your mind - I, too, would go with no pedestal - OR - 3 legs about the length of the first section of your ersatz pedestal in the first photo angled out and matching the finial wood.