PDA

View Full Version : dumb newb question about plow planes

Zach England
05-28-2010, 9:37 PM
It seems that people do not usually buy plow planes in pairs--ala side rabbet or skew block rabbet planes. It seems to me that one would need both LH and RH versions to be able to handle both grain slopes in various situations. Is there an advantage to having two?

greg Forster
05-28-2010, 10:13 PM
. Is there an advantage to having two?[/QUOTE]

You could do twice as much work?:rolleyes::confused:

Don't think I've ever seen a matched pair of plow planes; Try and plow with the grain, when contrary you may have a little clean up to do. Maybe side rabbets were used to deal with this?; Larry?

Sean Hughto
05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Skewed planes need pairs because of the skewed blade. One needs a mirror of the skew to go in the opposite direction.

Plows blade are typically square - not skewed. As long as the fence can be moved to the other side, you can go in either direction. Both my light duty plows - Stanley 248 and Record 043 - have fences that can be moved to either side. In practice, I rarely move them as slight tearouts in drawer bottom or door panel grooves are not really an issue as they won't be seen and don't compromise the strength.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/3096320087_746d1911b8_b.jpg

Zach England
05-29-2010, 1:35 AM
Specifically I am looking at the veritas plow, which is sold in LH and RH versions.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2010, 3:02 AM
The early Stanley #45 was right hand only until about 1897 or so. The #55 could be used either LH or RH.

For the sash blade there are two, one for each side.

jim

George Clark
05-29-2010, 9:09 AM
Zach,

I believe in the case of the Veritas small plow plane, left hand and right hand refers to the dominate hand of the user and they are not intended to be sold in pairs. The following is copied from the Lee Valley catalog.

Attention Left-Handers – If you are left-handed and previously purchased a right-hand plane, we will be pleased to exchange it (including all blades, as they are handed, too) for the left-hand version.

George