PDA

View Full Version : lumber storage?? your method!

larry merlau
11-23-2004, 2:06 PM
well i am about to get alot of lumber to store, i am wondering the best route to go for storing the mixture that i will have in the shope area to work with. not the whole lot just a mixture. the longest is around 9ft and i am asking for your ideas- horizontal or vertical? the stores usually are vertical but the catalogs show horizontal racks??? just for a no/ lets say the approx 100bf per specie for a amount to work with-4species not talking about sheet goods just lumber.
thanks for your input //larry

Donnie Raines
11-23-2004, 2:16 PM
well i am about to get alot of lumber to store, i am wondering the best route to go for storing the mixture that i will have in the shope area to work with. not the whole lot just a mixture. the longest is around 9ft and i am asking for your ideas- horizontal or vertical? the stores usually are vertical but the catalogs show horizontal racks??? just for a no/ lets say the approx 100bf per specie for a amount to work with-4species not talking about sheet goods just lumber.
thanks for your input //larry
Is this the stuff you just had cut?

larry merlau
11-23-2004, 2:42 PM
donnie i am refering to that yes, but after its kiln dried. the rest is stikered and in a barn now

larry merlau
11-23-2004, 2:43 PM
Is this the stuff you just had cut?
just trying to get ready fo rthe next round :D the good one when i can cut it and make something :D

Donnie Raines
11-23-2004, 2:46 PM
If you are having the lumber dried now....your asking for trouble. you need to stack and stciker these boards for at least 3 months or so prior to drying....heck i let mine sit for a good 6 months. The boards contain to high a moisture content at this time to throw in the kiln....these boards will all cup, twist and will likley have case hardening in many of the boards.

Look over at the General page...I posted some pix of a lumber rack I just had made.

larry merlau
11-23-2004, 2:53 PM
If you are having the lumber dried now....your asking for trouble. you need to stack and stciker these boards for at least 3 months or so prior to drying....heck i let mine sit for a good 6 months. The boards contain to high a moisture content at this time to throw in the kiln....these boards will all cup, twist and will likley have case hardening in many of the boards.

Look over at the General page...I posted some pix of a lumber rack I just had made.

thanks for the heads up donnie you saved me alot of embarassment had called the kiln guy but hadnt got there yet, hadnt gotten in touch personlly just left messge. so i am safe fer now then will do as you suggest thanks a bunch also donnie i wouldlike you to reserve 100bf of curly cherry when you get it please!!

larry merlau
11-23-2004, 2:55 PM
Look over at the General page...I posted some pix of a lumber rack I just had made.[/QUOTE]
where at??? :confused:

Donnie Raines
11-23-2004, 3:14 PM
where at??? :confused:[/QUOTE]
look at the second page....near the last thrid of the page....I was going to copy and paste it here but got lazy...look for "My new Lumber Rack"

Curly cherry is tuff right now for some reason. i did have a log cut up a few weeks back that had some nice curl....but I will need to save that for my own personal stash.... :p

Spence DePauw
11-23-2004, 3:54 PM
I rebuilt my lumber storage this fall from vertical to horizontal. The two pictures show most of the details. The vertical standards are 2x4's, with countersunk holes for 3/8" lag bolts into the wall studs. The bottom of each vertical support is grounded on the floor, so most of the weight is carried that way. The shelf supports are 1" EMT tubing, set into 1-1/4" holes drilled about 2+" deep into the stud at a 10 degree angle. There is enough slop in the hole that the shelves are not a 10 degrees, but still have a distinct slope towards the wall. I used cut sections of clear plastic flourescent tube protectors over the EMT to avoid metal to wood contact. Some shelves have a shelf board for shorts or other small stuff.

Hope this helps,
Spence

Bart Leetch
11-23-2004, 6:16 PM
What I have is somewhat like what Spence has.

Mine is 2x4 with 1/2" pipe set into holes drilled at a 3 degree angle spaced 6" apart. This is a complete frame with 2x4 top & bottom with a 3/4" header & footer board rabbited in you can see one at the bottom of the picture. The entire rack is glued & screwed together. There is also a ledger 2x4 board bolted to the wall the frame sets on it & is bolted to the wall. There is 100 board feet of White Oak 8'+ setting on it in the picture plus lots of odds & ends of other material. I like this approach because I have a low ceiling 7'8" I also like the fact that it keeps the material flat & uses an area that doesn't affect the usability of my small shop.

Steve Inniss
11-23-2004, 6:58 PM
Spence, Thanks for the idea. -Steve

Spence DePauw
11-23-2004, 7:43 PM
You're welcome. Not often I get in before the good ideas are already supplied...

Besides, I can't remember who I stole this one from. It's not my original idea.

Spence