PDA

View Full Version : Critters are eating my wood!

Brian Effinger
05-28-2010, 5:58 PM
They are maybe 1/8 to 1/4" long and look like little mouse turds (and that's kinda how I feel about them, too). I've only seen a handful each day for the last 2 days, burrowing into my green maple & cottonwood. They are only going into the face grain, but that may be because there is anchorseal on the end grain. They don't appear to be going into the bark. Each one I've seen either gets brushed off (away from the pile) or killed (usually by being cut in half because his head is in the hole and his butt is sticking out).

Does anybody know what they are? And how do I stop their dastardly deeds?

I have been thinking about coating all of the unaffected wood entirely with anchor seal. As for the pieces that already have holes, I am thinking of squirting DNA into the holes and then sealing it with anchor seal. Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks for any help you guys (and gals) can give.
And I know, I know, the real solution is to turn all of the wood, but there is a lot of it, and not enough time in the day, or week, for that.

Brian

Sean Hughto
05-28-2010, 6:42 PM
powder post beetles?
http://www.prevailpest.com/PowderPostBeetles.html

Dave MacArthur
05-28-2010, 7:08 PM
there are two long threads with LOTS of answers for you on protecting your wood pile, within the last 3 weeks. Do a search for power post beetles or PPB on Gen Woodworking forum and Turners forum, great info for you.

Ray Bell
05-28-2010, 7:27 PM
They are maybe 1/8 to 1/4" long and look like little mouse turds (and that's kinda how I feel about them, too). I've only seen a handful each day for the last 2 days, burrowing into my green maple & cottonwood. They are only going into the face grain, but that may be because there is anchorseal on the end grain. They don't appear to be going into the bark. Each one I've seen either gets brushed off (away from the pile) or killed (usually by being cut in half because his head is in the hole and his butt is sticking out).

Does anybody know what they are? And how do I stop their dastardly deeds?

I have been thinking about coating all of the unaffected wood entirely with anchor seal. As for the pieces that already have holes, I am thinking of squirting DNA into the holes and then sealing it with anchor seal. Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks for any help you guys (and gals) can give.
And I know, I know, the real solution is to turn all of the wood, but there is a lot of it, and not enough time in the day, or week, for that.

Brian

Looks like something from MIB. Contact Tommy Lee Jones, he knows how to handle this. In the meantime BE VERY AFRAID!!;)

David Gregory
05-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Critters eating your wood? They're critters; it's what they do. Then again, they may be alien lifeforms and killing or otherwise harming them could invoke an intergalactic war the likes of which would make the last one look like a birthday party. Or................you could get some Ortho and ...............

Cheryl A. Prince
05-28-2010, 9:13 PM
It looks like the emerald ash borer that's destroyed thousands of ash trees here in MI and Ohio. If it is you need to burn the wood immediatly. Here's a link to a site for more info.

http://stopthebeetle.info/?gclid=CJKxnrmU9qECFVHE3AodXW7uDg

I hope it's not the borer. The states of MI and OH began cutting down ash trees all over in an attempt to stop the spread of the bug. Good luck.

Ray Bell
05-28-2010, 9:19 PM
It looks like the emerald ash borer that's destroyed thousands of ash trees here in MI and Ohio. If it is you need to burn the wood immediatly. Here's a link to a site for more info.

http://stopthebeetle.info/?gclid=CJKxnrmU9qECFVHE3AodXW7uDg

I hope it's not the borer. The states of MI and OH began cutting down ash trees all over in an attempt to stop the spread of the bug. Good luck.

Brian, I apologize for making light of this. I sincerely hope this is not the EAB, and is recoverable. I am going to blame my inane comments on pure boredom...I MISS MY LATHE.

Jeff Willard
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Will the EAB attack maple and cottonwood?

Brian Effinger
05-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I hadn't searched SC, but I did some general googling on the internet, and ran across the emerald ash borer. I don't think that is it. They are about that size, but very green (the EAB, that is).

The do look similar to powder post beetles, but everything I had read (which I take with a grain of salt) mentioned seasoned wood and the bugs coming out of it. This is very wet and green and the bugs are boring into it. They also seem to be attacking the sap & heart wood equally.

Brian, I apologize for making light of this. I sincerely hope this is not the EAB, and is recoverable. I am going to blame my inane comments on pure boredom...I MISS MY LATHE.
No need for apology, your comment gave me a laugh, as did David's. :D

Time to take a walk out to the garage and inspect the wood and kill a few pesky bugs.