PDA

View Full Version : Wooden fridge magnets

James Terry
05-28-2010, 3:58 PM
I'd like to do some wooden fridge magnets and would like some advice/direction. Is there a laser able sheet magnet substrate? Would I then want to apply a veneer to this?

And then for finishing, I would probably want to stain and seal it before lasering right? I dont have much experience in wood yet and dont look fondly for working with stain and such. I wonder if someone has a premade product for this project? Magnet backed pre-finished wood veneer...

Perhaps the cheaper and/or easier route is to just use some stick on magnet strip on the finished item instead of covering the whole thing.

George D Gabert
05-28-2010, 4:09 PM
Yes I would use thin peel and stick magnets attached to the finished product. The magnet does not have to be as big as the finished product to hang on metal. The last magnet material I got was from Michaels and I was able to cut it with a standard shears.

GDG

Dee Gallo
05-28-2010, 9:21 PM
James, be aware that some of that thin magnetic sheeting us pretty weak. It might hold itself onto a metal surface, but not much else.

I like superthin earth magnets, hot glued to the wood.

cheers, dee

John Noell
05-28-2010, 9:54 PM
LaserGifts.com has round wooden fridge magnets. Haven't tried them myself. Nice folks to deal with however.

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I have made a lot of those, and since I make vehicle magnetic signs, I save the scraps. The material is easy to cut with scissors. A little of the flat double sided "banner tape" and they are ready to go.

Scott Challoner
05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
This is how I made some for our church. I cut holes in hardboard to fit round strong magnets that I got at Hobby Lobby. Then I applied peel and stick mahogany veneer to the hardboard and engraved the logo and information and cut through the veneer and hardboard. The magnet goes in the hole and is held in place by the veneer adhesive. We give these to new families who come to church.