PDA

View Full Version : Don't limit yourself with Acrylic

Stephen Beckham
05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Guys and Gals, sorry I haven't been around a lot lately, but this is one that I wanted to share. I've been so blessed and so busy lately I just can't seem to find the time to visit often.

So here are the lit up bases from JDS and my own cutouts out of 1/4" acrylic. I just really wanted to show off the bullet from the 21 gun salute of a local veteran who recently passed.

Basically, my thoughts are if you can imagine it, then you could probably do it with acrylic... Take care and God Bless....

Thank a service member this weekend, but remember this is Memorial Day weekend, a day to remember the fallen or past members of our Armed Services (often confused with Veterans Day).

Shawn Handley
05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Those pieces look fantastic!

Man, that's exactly what I am after. I have been working with acrylic for the majority of my engraving 'career' and have been on the lookout for those kinda of light bases. Can you tell me where you got them? I see JDS but I'm afraid I don't know what that is :)

Dan Hintz
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
JDS Industries... a major supplier of all kinds of useful stuff for engravers of all kinds:
http://www.JDSIndustries.com (http://www.%3Cb%3Ejds%3C/b%3E)

Dee Gallo
05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool idea, Steve! What's the size on those bases? My JDS catalog does not specify either the size or the color of the lights. Do they have corded adapters too?

cheers, dee

Mike Null
05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Look for pop in bases.

Stephen Beckham
05-28-2010, 2:51 PM
Dee, The base comes with bright white lights only. They came out last year. It's three AAA batteries - no plug adapter. The acrylic piece at the bottom is only 3 1/8" wide and that's why I slant it outwards towards the top. I haven't played with it to see how far I can go before the light doesn't work well. I also haven't run one long enough to see the failure time on the batteries. The ones that come with it are some cheap knock-off, so they probably won't last long anyway.

The base is 5" long, 2" deep and 1 3/8" high (not counting posts) it's made for their 3/8" pop-ins (like Mike pointed out). But instead of limiting my self to their pop-ins, I cut the 1/4" pieces so that they wedge in and stay in place - much cheaper than the pop-ins and more things I can do with it.

Take care...

Dee Gallo
05-28-2010, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Stephen, they are similar in size to what I've been using, but I find people like the blue much better than white. Pricewise, they are about the same, but I usually buy the adapters and tack that onto the price, people always ask for the adapters.

That said, I do like the pillars on the ends, gives them a nice finished look, albeit they are still cheap plastic.

I like the idea of embedding something in there, it adds a really personal touch. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

thanks, dee

ps- one comment: I think you should have made the stars white and left the field blank so it would appear dark - looks kind of odd being white in my opinion.

Scott Challoner
05-28-2010, 3:51 PM
I find people like the blue much better than white.

I've always wondered if you could use a colored film to change the colors of the leds. Similar to the gels used in theater lighting. I think colored mylar would work. You certainly don't have to worry about them melting with the LEDs. Just cut a strip with the laser and place it between the LEDs and the acrylic. Just a thought.

Dan Hintz
05-28-2010, 7:31 PM
I've always wondered if you could use a colored film to change the colors of the leds. Similar to the gels used in theater lighting. I think colored mylar would work. You certainly don't have to worry about them melting with the LEDs. Just cut a strip with the laser and place it between the LEDs and the acrylic. Just a thought.
Yes and no... it will change the color, but not all colors will change in the same way. Since white LEDs are usually blue-emitting LED dice covered with yellow-emitting phosphours (which appear white to the human eye), you're only really getting blue and yellow wavelengths. Cover that with a blue or yellow film and you're okay... cover it with, say, green, and you don't get green, you get some off shade of green.

John Ness
05-28-2010, 7:46 PM
Hi Dee,

Do you mind sharing where you get your lighted bases?

Thanks,
John

Dee Gallo
05-29-2010, 2:17 PM
Sure, John - I get them from Jim Good, he's a member of SMC. He's always been great to me.

cheers, dee

Bill Cunningham
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Those pieces look fantastic!

Man, that's exactly what I am after. I have been working with acrylic for the majority of my engraving 'career' and have been on the lookout for those kinda of light bases. Can you tell me where you got them? I see JDS but I'm afraid I don't know what that is :)

If in your location "Great White North" you mean Canada, you can get the bases from Kevin at Richwood in Elora ON

Shawn Handley
06-02-2010, 1:18 AM
Thanks! I'll check them out!