PDA

View Full Version : Corian uses?

Bob Riefer
05-28-2010, 8:56 AM
My in laws are replacing LOTS of perfectly new-condition corian countertops as they prefer granite instead. Shrug. My gain!

I have some ideas of how to use it in a woodworking shop, but would love to hear from the group here for more ideas

Quinn McCarthy
05-28-2010, 9:10 AM
Jig jigs jigs.

Jigs for the router, shaper, and disc sander.

You can use your normal WW tools to cut it.

Quinn

Nathan Palenski
05-28-2010, 9:31 AM
It definately makes great sliding surfaces. So line your tablesaw fence with it. Also it makes great signs. ADA signs etc.

Eric DeSilva
05-28-2010, 9:33 AM
Wilson Audio's WATT and PUPPY speaker combinations--acknowledged by a lot of people as being some of the most accurate speakers around--use corian cabinets.

Dick Strauss
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I definitely would make a router table top and fence with it.

Dennis Lopeman
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Make a vacuum hold down thing... Bill Wyko i think has a home made one using his vacuum can "clamp" piece down to his worktable without using clamps... good to sanding and you don't want the surface to have the clamps in the way!

And...

you can send a nice piece to me... to do above!

Jason Hallowell
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Also makes great ZCI's.

Dennis Lopeman
05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
well - I hope Bill won't mind me posting this - it is published on his festool owners group album... So I'm quoting:

"

This is a picture of my simple vacuum clamp. It's a plastic block with a hole drilled through and another hole on the side which intersects it. Foam tape is added to both sides encompassing the hole and a brass barb fitting is screwed into the side. Apply the vac to it for 1500 lbs per sq ft of clamping preasure.
"

Dennis Lopeman
05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm going to make this myself - and want a piece of corian or granite (but granite might be too hard to drill)

Bob Riefer
05-28-2010, 4:55 PM
Hey Jason, Forgive my question if it's extremely stupid (highly possible), but what are ZCI's?

Nathan Palenski
05-28-2010, 5:11 PM
Zero Clearance Insert.

Van Huskey
05-28-2010, 5:22 PM
Wilson Audio's WATT and PUPPY speaker combinations--acknowledged by a lot of people as being some of the most accurate speakers around--use corian cabinets.

I think Dave Wilson just had a little infarction though he probably doesn't know why. I don't know of any iteration of WATT/PUPPY that used a solid surface material as a cabinet material, though the first WATT enclosure was a PMMA if memory serves. While the upper level speakers WAMMS, SLAMMS, Alexandria and the like use X material the mid and lower lines used M material which is now M4 and isn't anything like Corian. Alas the WATT/PUPPY is dead but Sasha is very much alive.

Sorry for the jack. Corian has almost limitless uses and as mentioned the best part is it plays so well with woodworking tooling. You can also make all manner of stuff for the kitchen out of it. It turns really well also.

Keith Outten
05-30-2010, 7:49 AM
My in laws are replacing LOTS of perfectly new-condition corian countertops as they prefer granite instead. Shrug. My gain!

I have some ideas of how to use it in a woodworking shop, but would love to hear from the group here for more ideas

Cutting boards
Candy dishes
Pens
light cover plates
tooth brush holders
towel bars
soap dishes
shower shelves
desk signs
router/drill bit holders
yard ornaments
Christmas ornaments
mirror and picture frames
paper towel holders
toilet paper holders
cup holders
coffee cups
decorative boxes
bottle stoppers
router table tops
sander table tops
router templates
circle templates
radius templates
carpenter squares
large shop triangles
french curves
doll furniture
height guages
router bit profiles
thermal bending projects
chairs and tables
turn tables
house signs
dash boards
project story sticks
shelving boards
lap desks and tv tables
trophies and awards
bathroom or exterior trim moulding
small built-in cabinets and spice cabinets
solid surface nuts and bolts, U-bolts, Eye bolts
gun racks
wedding boxes and cake toppers
sliding inserts for table saws and band saws
bar accessories

Dave MacArthur
05-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Give some to this guy ;)
[/URL][url]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141154 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1434448&posted=1#post1434448)

Keith Outten
05-30-2010, 4:56 PM
I would be glad to give him a couple hundred pounds of Corian if he would drop by my shop and pick it up.

For a long time i was giving it away shipping it in USPS flat rate boxes. Cutting Corian to fit in the boxes became to big of a job.

Josh Bowman
05-30-2010, 7:42 PM
I would be glad to give him a couple hundred pounds of Corian if he would drop by my shop and pick it up.

For a long time i was giving it away shipping it in USPS flat rate boxes. Cutting Corian to fit in the boxes became to big of a job.
Kieth......why do you have so much Corian? :o

Keith Outten
05-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Josh,

When I got my ShopBot I went looking for a counter top shop that might give me some scrap Corian for shop jigs and small projects. I found a local shop and got to be very friendly with the owner, he let me have all of their sink cutouts and a lot of the job scraps for several years. I was collecting Corian scraps faster than I could use it until the top shop switched to granite tops and my source of material dried up.

I also started buying full sheets of Corian once I got through the certification procedure with Dupont so I was creating my own job scraps during much of the time I was getting material from my friend. Over the course of five years I have a lot of material here now and I even keep several full sheets of new material in my inventory. Angus Hines and I split a 3/4 ton pickup load of 1/4" thick Corian partial sheets that we purchased from a company that went our of business in Pennsylvania last fall so I have a fair supply of thin material as well. In my travels I always look for sources for Corian colors that I don't have in my inventory, particularly black, orange and red. I found a shop in Norfolk that inventories their large job scraps and they sell them so i have been able to acquire more colors for small jobs.

Corian is plastic gold :)

Bob Riefer
11-23-2010, 8:02 AM
wow, to revive an old thread... recap.. in-laws are replacing like-new corian counters with granite.

Tonight, I'm finally going to pickup the free corian :-) The installer that is putting the new counters in for my in-laws took care to remove the corian carefully, so I should have lots of usable pieces to work with.

Initially I'm thinking I'll make:
- a bunch of slides for the miter slots on my table saw (for use when building sleds etc.)
- router table surface and fence

If one of the pieces lends itself to being a counter for the one corner of my shop, I'll go ahead and do that.

And maybe just save the rest until I'm more educated on what jigs I might need. It sounds like it's good for all manner of jig making, so I might be best served to just use it for that over the next LONG time.

What do you think?

Dennis Lopeman
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
OH cool! I got a free piece of Corian from my FIL. I made a DrumSander that fits onto my ShopSmith... like the SandFlee. Drumsander may give the wrong impression! It's awesome!

It's a thin piece, and does flex slightly - so just keep that in mind. If I ever find a thicker piece, I'll probably change it out.

I also got to use some CA glue for the first time in this project. Pretty cool stuff - INSTANT bond - I didn't even get a chance to adjust the placement of the wood piece to the Corian. good thing I got it about right the first time!

I need to find some pix later.