PDA

View Full Version : Pink Pearl SlimLine - The One I've Been Looking For

James Combs
05-27-2010, 11:21 PM
This is the last pen in my siblings, in-laws and out-laws series of gift pens.

It is a chrome slimline decked out in Pink Flamingo acrylic. It would also pass for pink pearl but Pink Flamingo was the name of the blank.

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Great looking pen James. Those sell pretty well also. That is one I love to buy at Woodcraft. My wife calls it hot pink and I keep reminding her it is Pink Flamingo. Whenever she pulls that pen out to sign paperwork or write a check she will sell a half dozen or more. In fact I keep about 10 of those blanks in stock.

James Combs
05-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Great looking pen James. Those sell pretty well also. That is one I love to buy at Woodcraft. My wife calls it hot pink and I keep reminding her it is Pink Flamingo. Whenever she pulls that pen out to sign paperwork or write a check she will sell a half dozen or more. In fact I keep about 10 of those blanks in stock.

What color tube do you normally use in it? A while back I made one with brass and the brass was visible. This one I used a dark chrome or charcoal gray tube. I can see it also so the next one I will be trying a white tube.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
That's bright! I can see the pearl effect quite well and can see why these would be big sellers!

Congrats on finishing up on all the in-laws/out-laws pens! Nice work!

Wally Dickerman
05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
What color tube do you normally use in it? A while back I made one with brass and the brass was visible. This one I used a dark chrome or charcoal gray tube. I can see it also so the next one I will be trying a white tube.

I've turned some pens but I'm not an expert. However, after seeing the tube as you did, I paint the inside of the blank on light colored acrylics before inserting the tube. I use some very light colored grey paint that I had on hand. Seems to work.

Wally

Karl Card
05-28-2010, 4:52 AM
at the worst I started using steel looking tubes... not chrome not brass but steel in color... seemed to help but I havent used the white ones yet but have seen them... personally i think they would be the best...

James Combs
05-28-2010, 9:16 AM
at the worst I started using steel looking tubes... not chrome not brass but steel in color... seemed to help but I havent used the white ones yet but have seen them... personally i think they would be the best...

The dark tubes I have may also be steel. They are very similar in color to black titanium but I am sure that aren't that. In any case white is probably the way to go for translucent type acrylics.

Paul Douglass
05-28-2010, 9:50 AM
Nice looking pen. My granddaughter keeps asking for a pink pen. Maybe that would be the one to do. I think I would paint the tube pink.

James Combs
05-29-2010, 9:49 AM
Nice looking pen. My granddaughter keeps asking for a pink pen. Maybe that would be the one to do. I think I would paint the tube pink.

I have read several posts where pen makers have painted either the tube or the inside of the blank and I was wondering if there would be any determent to the glue bond.:confused: Sure wouldn't want my pens to fall apart sometime down the road.:eek:

Bill Neff
05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I made several pink pens for my wife's office (the state's breast & cervical cancer program) and tried painting tubes white or red. The white tubes were much lighter pink and the ones with red tubes were a darker pink. If it's a translucent blank, the color of the tube can really make a difference.

The pen on the right had a red tube & other 2 were white tubes.

Bill