PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make jig saw puzzles?

Al Stewart
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Any suggested material that's best for laser cutting jigsaw puzzles? Cardboard, wood, etc.? What thickness do you use? And where do you buy it?

How about the box? Where have you found them?

Thanks!

Al

John Noell
05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
We use a thin posterboard (from the only paper product distributor in Fiji) and glue the photopaper to it with PVA. It cuts quite nicely but to avoid any scorching you need to set the power rather precisely and cut from the back. I wish we had boxes but we have not found any good ones, and if we did, importing them would be quite expensive as they get the highest duty rate here (and we pay duty and VAT on both boxes AND the shipping!). We use ziploc bags with simple labels (using a small version of the picture of course).

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2010, 7:59 AM
I have used baltic birch ply and MDF but mostly 1/8" Acrylic for a regular customer that uses them in corporate training exercises. For the image I use
outdoor-grade digital prints on adhesive poly film, with transfer tape applied I can cut from the top without damaging the surface. Like John, I package in zip bags.

Brian Terry
05-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I have bought a book on Amazon called Structural Package Design. It comes with a CD. You can make your own boxes any size you want, cut with the Laser. I haven't had time to try it yet but it looks promising.

Jim Beachler
05-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I cut puzzles using 3/8 europly wood with a maple top and bottom.
As far as boxes, for small amounts, I get them from U-Line.

James Jaragosky
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I have bought a book on Amazon called Structural Package Design. It comes with a CD. You can make your own boxes any size you want, cut with the Laser. I haven't had time to try it yet but it looks promising.
I make small dino puzzles and package them in clear boxes from here.
http://www.clearbags.com/boxes/crystal-clear-boxes