PDA

View Full Version : Sawn veneer substrate?? Knida long.

Greg Wandless
04-03-2003, 1:16 PM
Here is my story...

I'm working a cabinet that has two doors below a couple of drawers. Each door is about 12" wide and 13" tall. I was able to find a single board of mahogany that is wide enough so I could make each door out of a solid piece. Great. So I set about the task of flattening that wide board, which went well. I set it aside to settle 'cause I figured it move a bit and it did so I flattened it again and let is rest some more, fattened once again, let it settle...

Well I'm running out of board so I decided to make veneer out of it which went pretty well. Now I need to select a substrate to put it on. I'm not to thrilled with using MDF for the core. I know it will stay flat but I just can't see using it on this piece. and just like MDF. I thought about lumber core substrate but I can't seem to find any, and most of the baltic birch ply I've looked at so far isn't very flat to begin with. So I thought about making my own lumber core substrate from poplar.

He is my plan. Cut strips about 1-1/2 wide and 1/2 thick. Joint and glue up a panel being careful to alternating the growth rings to keep it flat. Put the veneer on both sides, and I have a door that should stay flat.

I figure if I keep the veneer at 1/8" thick or so I should not get a whole lot of washboard effect from the alternating growth rings and the panel shouldn't cup.

Have I thought of everything or does someone have a better idea.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Greg

Dave Avery
04-03-2003, 3:00 PM
Greg,

The only concern I'd have with MDF is the type of hinge you plan to use as MDF doesn't take screws very well.

In respect of the poplar strips - seems like a lot of work, but it should be OK. The only issue here is the thickness of the veneer. While 1/8 would probably be OK with a perfectly stable substrate like MDF or BB, I'm not so sure about using it with a substrate that will move a little too.

Not sure that I helped a great deal - good luck and let us know how you make out. Dave.