PDA

View Full Version : What kind of finish?

Jim Guy
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm making a few silverware holding trays for Christmas presents that will be placed in a cabinet drawer. There are not fancy and will hold everyday silverware. One made with pine, one with oak, one with cherry or walnat (not certain yet). My question is what do I use as a finish? I don't want to color the wood at all but believe I should put something on them. Most of my furniture projects I use shelac but I'm not certain that would be right here.
Any ideas?

Jim Guy

Donnie Raines
11-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Frankly, shellac would work well. No odor and if you use the premixed stuff it is very clear(they even package it as "clear finish"). Lacquer would also be nice...but has a very high odor when applying....be sure to have appropriate ventalation if you use it.

I would go with shellac....

Ted Shrader
11-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Jim -

I would use shellac on them. Some other finishes will continue to off-gas for a long time. Since the trays will be in a drawer, the smell will linger for a long time. With shellac, the residual smell is gone in a matter of days - perfect for an enclosed space.

Regards,
Ted

Lee Schierer
11-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Try a water based polyurethane. It will not yellow as much as regular poly and will be more durable than lacquer or shellac. It also has no odor after it dries and it can be used indoors.