PDA

View Full Version : Score...and need some guidance!

john brenton
05-27-2010, 3:50 PM
All irons in pretty decent shape. Only one with serious pitting and a couple "who the hell sharpened these"...but all in all nice score. About half are marked, and they are Waltham, Great American, Made in USA (only), and of course on the far right is a Goldenberg. No chip breakers included :( I got the block just for fun (Made in USA...can't go wrong.) It looks like it'll be a good user.

The second pic is the detail (as much as you can get with a camera phone) of the Goldenberg toothing iron. The only toothed planes I ever used were not like this at all. I've got an iron that I have mangled to act as a toother, but its very different (image three).

How do you think I should I make the plane for the Goldenberg? I figure I'm going to fool around with it freehand on some soft wood to see what result is best, but I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who uses something similar.

Thanks!

john brenton
05-27-2010, 4:02 PM
I know that I would like to build a high angle plane like the attached image, but I was hoping that someone had some tips, or a better suggestion if there is one. Thanks.

David Weaver
05-27-2010, 4:57 PM
What are you going to use the plane for, to scratch veneer before gluing, or to remove highly figured wood before smoothing?

I don't ever use veneer for anything other than covering up mistakes or shimming, but it's my impression that you're showing a picture of a plane used in veneering.

A plane used to remove wood doesn't have to be at as high of an angle to avoid tearout since the blade is already busting the chips just by cutting.

john brenton
05-27-2010, 7:03 PM
Thanks for that input. I actually don't need the plane for anything, I just have a thing for
That particular makers irons. I don't know why, but if I see a Goldenberg I have to buy it. So, I have a
Plane iron and want to put it in a home. I just want to make sure its in the right kind of home.
So I guess I should have left it a little more open. The question is now what kind of plane takes
this iron?