PDA

View Full Version : Screamed so load, LOML thought I hurt myself

John Pratt
05-27-2010, 3:13 PM
I let out quite a howl in the shop minutes ago and decided it was best to stop for the day. I finally finished a cherry/walnut/bloodwood chest I was working on, that for some reason has given me several fits during the build process. The only thing left was to mortise for the piano hinge. Well...I laid it out, marked it with a marking guage and went to work with my Stanley #92 and chisels. I was pretty proud of myself at how well it came out. I went back to the cabinet to fetch my corner chisel just to square up the corners a little bit more.

When I got back to the chest, it finally hit me...

I put in the mortise for the hinge on the front of the chest!!!

Whose the idiot, Yes that would be me with my hand in the air.

Someday, I may look back and laugh at this, but I think that may take a while.

Van Huskey
05-27-2010, 3:16 PM
Welcome to my world. It always happens when I am too far down a path to back up easily!

Dave Mura
05-27-2010, 3:49 PM
Good to know you're not hurt :cool:

jim sauterer
05-27-2010, 3:54 PM
dont feel alone.i think everyone does it.i know ive done my fair share.

Michael MacDonald
05-27-2010, 4:02 PM
I thought I felt a disturbance in "the force"... (sorry... Star Wars was on the other night) So, now it sounds like a nice decorative inlay on the front edge is in order...

Lee Schierer
05-27-2010, 4:04 PM
Inset a couple of velvet pads to cushion the top as it closes.

Will Overton
05-27-2010, 4:06 PM
I think I heard you on the east coast. :D

Better it was wood, rather than flesh, that got messed up a bit.

Since the mortise is not deep, continue it across the entire front. Fit a strip of one of the other woods in there. It will barely be seen, if at all, with the top down. With the top up, it will look like part of the design.

For $5 each, we won't tell anyone that it was a goof.

Frank Warta
05-27-2010, 4:06 PM
Or maybe a chest that is just a bit shorter then originally planned for, I know it would make the rails asymmetric, but I bet it wouldn't be noticeable especially with the lid closed to obscure the dimensions a bit.

glenn bradley
05-27-2010, 4:07 PM
I think we all have a story like that. One of my favorites is the guy (not me this time) who cut the decorative ends of the beams for his pergola upside down on one end. Once he recovered he went to the lumber yard, bought another beam, brought it home and . . . you got it . . . did it again!!!

As to a save for your boo-boo; decorative strip? Felt strip? Brass angle as trim?

Kyle Iwamoto
05-27-2010, 4:10 PM
So, now it sounds like a nice decorative inlay on the front edge is in order...

One of my mentors said there are no mistakes, just design opportunities. Yes, don't feel alone. I've put handles on the inside of a cabinet door. Makes them tough to get to.:eek:

Harlan Theaker
05-27-2010, 5:38 PM
That's not a mistake, it's a design change.

I think we've all been there... I'm sure you'll find a work to fix it.

John A. Callaway
05-27-2010, 5:41 PM
just plane down all four edges to the mortise depth. You shouldn't lose that much height.

Matt Day
05-28-2010, 8:44 AM
I've done similar things quite often in the past. When I realize it I usually yell a couple choice words, but those choice words are usually the same ones I yell when I drop something on my foot or stub my toe so my fiance comes running to see if I'm okay!

Harold Burrell
05-28-2010, 9:12 AM
:D
That's not a mistake, it's a design change.

I think we've all been there... I'm sure you'll find a work to fix it.

"Design change". You gotta love it.

george wilson
05-28-2010, 9:45 AM
"Screamed so LOAD". Load what? Your pants??? :) Could you scream so LOUD you could LOAD them?????

Mike Cruz
05-28-2010, 9:48 AM
Hmmmmm, NEVER had that sort of thing happen to me before. BUT, while making a hickory top for a kitchen corner cabinet that sits on the countertop, after I routed out a recess (second pic), I thought a walnut inlay (first pic) on the top exactly opposite side of the recess on the bottom was in order... yeah, yeah, that's the ticket... that's why I put that inlay there...:rolleyes: Ugh! I was ready to burn it! And this was a MUCH smaller project than your's, dude. I feel for ya. ;)

John Pratt
05-28-2010, 9:52 AM
"Screamed so LOAD". Load what? Your pants??? :) Could you scream so LOUD you could LOAD them?????

I know. Consider that mistake as part of my frustration level. I did see it and went back to edit, but it wouldn't allow me to edit the title, just the message. The only load on my mind was what a load of $^&* this project may turn out to be if I don't find a solution.

george wilson
05-28-2010, 9:55 AM
I couldn't resist it. Yes,you can't edit the title. AND at Woodcraft yesterday(I know the owner) I asked him why the WOOD cost more than the MACHINES!!! He said it was true!