PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tools

Stew Hagerty
05-27-2010, 2:52 PM
I was browsing and saw HF was having a sale of several tools that I have been wanting. For example, they have a stand mounted 6" belt/9" disc sander for $189 and a 6" rabbeting jointer for $229.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look well built. They look especially good for the price since I can use the 20% off coupons and bring the cost down even farther.

Brendan Plavis
05-27-2010, 3:03 PM
What I have been told always, is that you get what you pay for, and that HF tools are never something you want to spend a decent amount of money on....

I bought a 4.5in Angle grinder and an wire brush for $15... it works well, appart from the grinder getting really hot, and the thing shaking like a beast... But, they offer no warranty on anything... appart from their wonderful return policy...

I would spend the time to get something more expensive, that will last you for years to come....

Try CL or EBAY....

Pat Germain
05-27-2010, 3:08 PM
I would strongly recommend you not by those tools unless you can inspect them up close in person and decide for yourself. Find the nearest HF store and have a look.

While there are a few HF tools which are decent and good values (I hear the dust collectors are pretty nice), by and large, most of their power tools fall into the junk category and end up being a waste of time and money.

FYI, one of my coworkers asked if I'd be interested in buying a large HF lathe he had sitting in his basement. He wanted only $100 for it. I asked the guys here on the turning forum and they said, "Run away!". ;)

brian wight
05-27-2010, 3:13 PM
But, they offer no warranty on anything...

Since when? They even have those extended warranties you pay extra for

Brendan Plavis
05-27-2010, 3:23 PM
I mean they dont have a warranty that you dont pay for...

Stew Hagerty
05-27-2010, 3:30 PM
Try CL or EBAY....

I'm probably going to feel stupid for asking this, but what is CL?

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2010, 3:32 PM
Hi Stew, it's Craig's List, an online for sale site..........Regards, Rod.

Bryan Morgan
05-27-2010, 3:34 PM
I was browsing and saw HF was having a sale of several tools that I have been wanting. For example, they have a stand mounted 6" belt/9" disc sander for $189 and a 6" rabbeting jointer for $229.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look well built. They look especially good for the price since I can use the 20% off coupons and bring the cost down even farther.

I know people like to rip on Harbor Freight because they are cheaper. Yes, a lot of their stuff is junk. However, a lot of their stuff is also decent and quite usable for the amount of money you spend on it. If you have a local store you should go check out the equipment you are interested in. Their drill presses are nice. Their lathes are quite usable for what you pay. Its all built in Asia these days anyway....

Stew Hagerty
05-27-2010, 3:35 PM
Eh, I don't feel quite so stupid as I thought I would. I've never used Craigs List before.

Britt Lifsey
05-27-2010, 3:38 PM
I recently bought a HF 2hp DC. While researching it online I found through Google several lists of "Harbor Freight Gems" that listed tools/machinery that folks have found to be worthwhile purchases. They didn't imply that a piece of HF equipment was equivalent to a much more expensive mfr...but that some of their units are worthwhile for the occasional hobbyist on a budget. Several of the lists also include items from HF to avoid.

Stew Hagerty
05-27-2010, 3:40 PM
There is a store here locally. I'm going to go in over the weekend and check them out in person. But I figured talking to someone that has had experience with them is better yet. That's why I thought I would ask in here for some opinions. I've used some of there things in the past, but never anything major like these items.

Gary McKown
05-27-2010, 3:54 PM
1. Never buy anything that is not on sale.
2. Never buy anything you haven't inspected up close.
3. Never leave the store before making sure the model they wheel out is the same as the one you inspected.
4. Never feel bad about taking back anything that is not up to snuff.

Stew Hagerty
05-27-2010, 4:00 PM
I checked out a couple of the Gems sites and they helped. Actually I found all of the items I am looking at on the lists. And surprisingly, they had all received favorable reviews. I'm anxious to get to the store and see them for myself.

At these prices, I can afford to equip my shop much better than I would otherwise be able to for some time. I figure I can upgrade in the future when I deem it time, from both a need and an economic standing. I hope they look as good as they sound.

Brendan Plavis
05-27-2010, 4:13 PM
To add a rule... Never buy anything that your income or life depends on:

Dont buy elevators
Carabinas
climbing stakes
Escalators
Cars
Children's Toys(most likely coated in lead paint)
Dinner
Or most other things like that....

Don Jarvie
05-27-2010, 4:20 PM
Stew,

I followed the same path you are thinking back in the 90's. For those who remember WoodWorkers Warehouse, I had the HQ in the next town over and outfitted my shop. Harbor Freight has Central Machinery, WW Warehouse had Relient.

Think like you, I could get the house brand and setup my shop on a budget. I got the 6 inch jointer and 14 inch bandsaw. I still have both and have fixed up the jointer and will fix up the BS.

While the jointer was a pretty good value I had to order new set screws to replace the ones in the cutterhead since they stripped quickly when I had to replace the blades. The BS will need the bearings replaced and it probably has 20 hours on it total.

The moral of the story is that the tools are ok for time to time use, but for precision work I'd spend a bit more and buy higher quality tools that will last longer and perform better.

Save a bit more money and buy something better. Craftsman or Grizzly offer a better bang for your buck.

mark kosse
05-27-2010, 4:37 PM
A friend has that sander and he likes it. Knowing what I know about him, I'd have to say it's a decent enough machine.

Myk Rian
05-27-2010, 5:07 PM
You can do better than the HF jointer. Used, they're worth $100, maybe.
Get something better on CL.

Brendan Plavis
05-27-2010, 5:13 PM
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/search/tls?query=jointer

Theres a few in your area... I would try a few of them, someone might still have it... there was a 4" for $75 and a Jet 6" for $350

Randall Woolbright
05-27-2010, 5:15 PM
Reminds me of a friend's comment after purchasing a HF drill, "Well, it worked once!" I still get a chuckle out of that one.

Van Huskey
05-27-2010, 8:11 PM
I mean they dont have a warranty that you dont pay for...

Although, they may indeed sell some items with no warranty most everything does indeed have a warranty that you don't pay EXTRA for, the argument can be made no company provides a warranty that you don't pay for.

Brendan Plavis
05-27-2010, 8:31 PM
You are right about that one Van.... no company ever gives you a free warranty.... ;)

Floyd Mah
05-27-2010, 8:35 PM
By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.

Stew Hagerty
05-28-2010, 9:51 AM
By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.

Floyd, here is a link to the coupon. I'm attaching another link that has several individual coupons.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/SingleMagLanders/americanprofile/images/20_c.jpg

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?hdr=mag&week=2210&campaign=B_prospects&page=2210B_prospects.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000

By the way, I spoke with the manager at my local store and he said that the coupons are valid even for items that are on sale and, while you can only use one coupon per item, you can print multiple coupons and use one for each item you purchase as long as you ring-up each item separately.

george wilson
05-28-2010, 9:54 AM
You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Jesse Tutterrow
05-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Wood Magazine also has these coupons. I normally use them with purchases.

Jesse Tutterrow
05-28-2010, 10:09 AM
What I have been told always, is that you get what you pay for, and that HF tools are never something you want to spend a decent amount of money on....

I bought a 4.5in Angle grinder and an wire brush for $15... it works well, appart from the grinder getting really hot, and the thing shaking like a beast... But, they offer no warranty on anything... appart from their wonderful return policy...

I would spend the time to get something more expensive, that will last you for years to come....

Try CL or EBAY....

I have their 4.5 inch angle grander. I probably ran it 5 hours continuous with no problems. I've cut rebar, angle iron and nails sticking out of wood. I would say that this was the best HF power tool I own.

I never tired a wire brush attachment. I didn't release that they sold one.

John Coloccia
05-28-2010, 10:10 AM
What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.

Brendan Plavis
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.

Same with the Angle Grinder... its works extremely well for the price.... although, it gets very hot(I can feel it through a Police issue, kevlar palmed glove(search gloves.... made so syringes cannot stick ya.) But I can't argue.... I got the sucker for $10.... if it dies, and I need one... ill just get another.... I can go through ten of them before I have amounted to the cost of a DeWalt, and about ten of them/twenty of them(not sure the exact price) before I reach the cost of a Metabo......

But as I have said... other things like that, are junk... I saw a table saw while I was there... the thing had a table that looked to use a hard plastic.... I wonder what else uses plastic in it...*imagines*: the arbor, the trunions, even the blade*Imagines*

Rob Wachala Jr
05-28-2010, 11:39 AM
You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.

Maik Tobin
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.

As long as people buy those sub-par products someone will produce them.

Randall Clark
05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I buy hand tools and wrenches that I don't have, but need to use about once a year. I bought a tow strap that broke the first time I tried to pull my riding mower out of the wet ditch--the strap was rated for 4500 lbs, my rider is no where near that heavy. I will try to return it, but will not buy another one. I have bought casters for things that I probably won't move but once or twice a year. I did buy some small jorg style clamps that have worked okay so far. I was not satified with the sand paper quality.
I did buy a packet of beef jerky there one time--it was satisfactory.

Josiah Bartlett
05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
There is some stuff at Harbor Freight that is truly junk, but there is at Sears and Home Depot, too.

A lot of their stuff is produced in the same factory as some of the more name brand tools. Their little metal working lathe, for instance. Their big roller bearing US General tool chests are a screaming bargain, especially on sale. They sell Norton abrasives alongside their house brand at my local store, and they are cheaper there than at the borg. Their welding wire is made in Italy, and their grinding wheels are made in Russia, while most of the other locally available stuff is Chinese.

Most of the tools that I have bought there are good enough. Some of them are crap. The biscuit jointer is a mixed bag- it works fine, but the fence and alignment features are junk. All the drills I have gotten there are fine. The variable speed Sawzall tool has been fantastic. I've dropped it off of several ladders, left it out in the rain, and had it bind the blade up so bad with drywall dust that it made horrible grinding noises, but it is still going strong after 5 years.

When I need a tool that I'm going to enjoy using, I shop around. When I need something to finish a project, like a close quarter right angle drill, I go to Harbor Freight.

Eric DeSilva
05-28-2010, 1:01 PM
Just to be contrary, I've only bought one thing from HF, and I've been pretty happy with the value. I bought a floorstanding sandblasting cabinet that was about half what I could find anywhere else. Yeah, its thin walled, but given the amount of sandblasting I do, it will probably last a lifetime. And it beats the heck out of doing it open air.

Cary Falk
05-28-2010, 1:12 PM
I have heard the jointer is functional. I don't know anything about the sander. I buy a lot of stuff from HF. It is true that there is some junk there. It is a great store for stuff you use ocassionally. For something like a jointer that I would be using quite a bit, I think I would look at CL first. Be careful, you can get junk off CL also. Never walk into HF without a 20% coupon.

Terry Welty
05-28-2010, 9:12 PM
I'd check out the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer. I just picked one up a Home Depot... Origionally $429.00 it was marked down as a close out for $299.00. They only had the floor model left and they gave me an additional 10% off. I tried to see if they would let me use the 20% off Harbor Freight coupon, but the wouldn't go for it... I've heard some Home Depots will honor it. They are being sold out at the stores discretion... some stores still have them at full price. I also simply love me Ridgid Oscillating sander... comes with a belt and drums... it's $200.

george wilson
05-28-2010, 9:34 PM
Rob,you produce something as cheap as the Chinese,and see if your product is always up to par. I think greedy customers have a lot to do with it.

My helper had a side business of making an 18th.C. multi tool for working on gun locks. He met an East Indian who ran a small factory in India. The Indian said that they could make high quality products,but the Americans wouldn't pay for them. My friend agreed to pay a proper price for these gunlocks,and still got them at less cost that anywhere else he could get them. He sold their tools for many years and made a good profit.

It isn't well known,but some of the best British machine tool manufacturers got the main castings of their machines made in India for many years. They exerted quality control.

The great mass of buyers of HF tools are the occasional handymen who do not know any better,and just do not want to invest in better tools.That said,I have been a professional for many years,and I still have a few HF tools. Nail guns. I haven't used them on a daily basis because I don't use many nails except for household repairs. The guns still work,but if they die,I'm not going to be put out with HF,because I knew what I was getting into when I bought them.

What I REALLY object to is when the Chinese poison baby formula,etc.. I would NEVER buy any kind of food made there.

Rich Engelhardt
05-30-2010, 6:52 AM
a 6" rabbeting jointer for $229.
I was in HF yesterday and checked out the jointer.
I'm by no means an expert on such things, but, the 6" Ridgid I picked up appears to be light years ahead of the HF display model.

The HF appears very crude.

Not saying it bad or anything - matter of fact, there was a review of the 8" HF jointer done here at SMC not too long ago.
The reviewer was quite pleased with his purchase.

Christopher Pine
05-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I would really be suprised if anyone denied this. I have some stuff from there and it will do for what I need it to do. SO I am basically satisfied. Will an odd wrench or somthing like that work for my project when likely I wll never use it again or rarely will for sure. Yes is the answer.Buying it for pennies on the dollar for the use I have for it somtimes makes more sense. I bought a huge blue tarp from there and it worked ok.. I also own teh cheap dust collector.. work ok, but make no mistake it is hardly finely crafted.

Chris