PDA

View Full Version : Lathe question

William Powell
05-27-2010, 1:27 PM
For some reason I want a lathe. I don't want to spend much on it and the basic tools. I was thinking the HF 34706 would be fine but I will have to drive to Memphis to get one. Then that would mean a trip to Tunica for the bride. I would probably be better off financially to order a PM or something. Anyway-

Locally there have been plenty of Craftsman tube bed lathes for sale. I have read they are not very desirable.

Then this appears today on CL. littlerock.craigslist.org tls 1762277238
I don't know my Jets. Looking at the tail end, I would think an extension could be added. ??

I would like to do spindles and bowls/HF.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks

Nick Mastropietro
05-27-2010, 1:48 PM
William, this looks like a Jet 10-14 Mini Lathe, Rockler is selling the current model for $350.00. This might not be a bad deal if the lathe is in good condition and is within your price range. My guess is after a short time you will be looking to move up, but for what you will have invested in this lathe, you can end up with a mini and another lathe as well. Many here on the Creek keep their first small lathe after purchasing an upgrade.

William Powell
05-27-2010, 1:55 PM
I did things backwards and posted first then did some research. I called the fella and he is willing to throw in some stuff.

Now, the Barracuda chuck with 4 sets of jaws. If in fine shape, what would that be worth used?

Thanks

Tim Rinehart
05-27-2010, 2:02 PM
I think if he is throwing in the barracuda chuck and some blanks, the whole package is fair at that price. Won't hurt to try and get down to $225 or so...but the Jet is a nice mini-lathe. Again, as said, check to see that it runs smooth ... like a sewing machine with an attitude!

oh...have you heard of the vortex?

William Powell
05-27-2010, 2:11 PM
In these parts folks are asking 200 and beyond for their old Craftsman tube lathes. This Jet appeals to me as a starter and if I don't get sucked in to the Vortex, I haven't lost much. Besides, if I want to sell it later, shipping would be much easier.

The chuck is separate. Seems like new they are 200. Right now he wants 85 with the jaws.

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 2:20 PM
If he will throw the chuck in at the price he has on it and it is in decent shape I would jump on it. You will come out fine. Yes you can add a bed extension for $63 from Craft Supply USA.

bob svoboda
05-27-2010, 2:40 PM
I started on an old (borrowed)CM tube bed lathe. IMHO you would be miles ahead with the jet. With all the extras offered it's a fair deal. That sound you hear is not a lathe, it is a VORTEX (full of cookies):D

William Powell
05-27-2010, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm still pondering. If he still has it in the morning, I'll drive over there. I hate haggling but most people over value their items for sale. The haggling feels like I am insulting them.

Depending on which chuck it is, will this be something I am glad I got later on?

Thanks

Tim Rinehart
05-27-2010, 3:21 PM
I can't begin to think how laborious turning would be without chucks, after using them.

They really open up alot of options for you.

I don't know much about the Barracuda...but you may want to see if others have any comments on it specifically, or just do some searches in this forum on it. There are several postings where "barracuda chuck" comes up by doing a search.

If not beat up, $80 for a chuck and 4 sets of jaws is a nice deal in my book.

Andrew Kertesz
05-27-2010, 3:26 PM
When you get totally sucked into the vortex you will find a need for the chuck. The Barracuda which is a PSI product sells for $169.00 on Amazon. The blanks depending on the wood species on average are worth about $1 - $2 each. If they are exotic or highly figured they are worth more. A good place to learn about ALL things penturning is: www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) Great bunch of helpfull people over there. Have fun!!!

William Powell
05-27-2010, 3:35 PM
I've never turned before. Something about it appeals to me. With flat wood it seems like everything is by the numbers. Then repeat. Turning seems like it would be more artful.

So, if all is in fine shape, 275 for the lathe, chuck and accessories would be okay? Certainly save a road trip.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-27-2010, 3:38 PM
I'd jump on it. And pick up the accessories. The turning tools, which the lathe does come with, is just one of the MANY hidden costs of the lathe... As you may find out.

I turn on a Jet mini. It's not the worlds greatest little lathe, but light years ahead of the Craftsman IMO. I started on a Craftsman, and the moment I turned on the mini, I realized what a POS the old lathe was.

Just mt $0.02.

Wally Wenzel
05-27-2010, 4:35 PM
I just ordered the barracuda chuck this morning, with shipping comes to$149 Wally

Andrew Kertesz
05-27-2010, 5:50 PM
Should have ordered from Amamzon. With anything over $25.00 standard shipping is FREE! Plus no sales tax...

Paul Douglass
05-27-2010, 9:49 PM
Not IF, but WHEN you get sucked into the vortex, you will want a bigger lathe, but I think you still want to keep that lathe for small things. I have often thought it would be nice to have a mini lathe to go with a bigger one.

Richard Madison
05-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Hate to think folks are paying $200 for the old single tube Craftsman lathes. Sold mine for $75 including the table I built for it. OTOH, if in virtually new condition (including original owners manual), $150 might be ok. Can make some pretty nice stuff on that lathe if you try.