PDA

View Full Version : what materials to make this sign out of.

Steve knight
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
well this style of sign about 3'x8'
myself trying to glue up such a panel is not really practical. I can make the parts seperatly but I don't knwo what do do for the background. they think foam will be damaged (of course I have two sheets that need to be returned I could use)
is there something I could glue to mdo to cut the texture into? they are going to paint it and they have 1000 to work with. I want to keep materials around 300.00
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/f6702e03.jpg

Larry Bratton
05-27-2010, 8:32 PM
Try expanded rigid foam PVC. You can route and cut it with your CNC. I have made a good many signs with it and even cut the lettering out of 1/4 pvc and glue them on with Weldon 16. I paint it with Sherwin Williams Super Paint-Plastic Formula (be sure u ask for that) It's more substantial that sign foam and cheaper too. My favorite product is Celtec by Vycom http://www.professionalplastics.com/CELTECEXPPVC

Joe Pelonio
05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
i agree on the PVC, it works well with CNC, but unless you can find someone that sells it by the SF it's normally sold by the 4x8 sheet, but even 13mm (1/2") is nearly $300 and you need thicker than that. I always use clear heart cedar, and have a guy that glues it up for me with biscuits. Sandblasting gives a more rustic look but then with router and PVC there's no stencil and no sanding.

Steve knight
05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I think the background and raised parts will be mdo. the texture I could do it in hdu as I have enough scrap on hand it won't cost me anything. but if they want wood I think some baltic birch would work well. it is pretty much void free and will cut fine in a 3d fashion. then it would be easily to attach to the back after it is painted.
I have not seen the artwork to get the full detail of it all. but if made out of seperate parts it is easy to get crisp detail but it is faster to make and easier to paint. Plus they can only pay 1000 or less. so using a solid piece of wood would eat into what I can make.

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2010, 8:03 AM
The problem with MDO and Baltic birch is that all edges will have to be well sanded, and voids filled, since they are plywood. I would not use baltic outdoors even with good paint.

Scott Shepherd
05-28-2010, 8:22 AM
i agree on the PVC, it works well with CNC, but unless you can find someone that sells it by the SF it's normally sold by the 4x8 sheet, but even 13mm (1/2") is nearly $300

1/2" PVC is $300? 1/2" PVC here is about $90 a sheet, unless I'm missing something.

Larry Bratton
05-28-2010, 9:45 AM
i agree on the PVC, it works well with CNC, but unless you can find someone that sells it by the SF it's normally sold by the 4x8 sheet, but even 13mm (1/2") is nearly $300 and you need thicker than that. I always use clear heart cedar, and have a guy that glues it up for me with biscuits. Sandblasting gives a more rustic look but then with router and PVC there's no stencil and no sanding.
PVC must be a lot higher in your part of the country than mine..I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1" (or whatever the actual mm is..23) for $150.00 ..recently.

Larry Bratton
05-28-2010, 9:58 AM
Go to http://www.vycomplastics.com/ Do a search for distributors for Celtec. I searched it for Portland and there are 3 distributors in Portland that would carry Celtec. It might be a little more expensive than others, but it is nice product.

Steve knight
05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
The problem with MDO and Baltic birch is that all edges will have to be well sanded, and voids filled, since they are plywood. I would not use baltic outdoors even with good paint.

true they need a god seal. but I did some sins out of plywood where the whole face was edge plywood. I fully sealed them with epoxy then used a clear finish.

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2010, 11:00 PM
1/2" PVC is $300? 1/2" PVC here is about $90 a sheet, unless I'm missing something.

I may have been thinking of acrylic, not long ago got a sheet of 1/2" for $286.

I typically use Sintra or Komatex, about the same price, just depends on the color and which supplier I'm at. Typical prices here for 4x8 sheets:

3mm $23-30 depending on color - white cheapest then black others more
6mm $42-60 "
13mm $138-174 "
25mm $182 - 250 "

I've never seen it thicker than 25mm (about 1") and that only in white.