PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Anniversary Rings

Tim Rinehart
05-27-2010, 9:21 AM
My nephew calls me up ...

"Uncle Tim...you turn wood, can you make me a set of rings for mine and Rachel's wedding anniversary, you know, 5 years is wooden anniversary?"

What could I say. Of course I can and will.

I've not worked with small stuff like that, but it was a nice easy process once figured out. Here's how I did it, in case others would like to try...probably some easier ways too.

- Drilled holes in blanks,
- held blanks together with bolt/nut, exposing at least 1/2" bolt threads,
- inserted into drill chuck,
- turned down rough OD,
- chuck up rough blanks in pin chucks and size ID/OD on one side only
- turn jam chuck to accept larger ring ID with tight fit on small 1/8" high tenon
- place ring on jam chuck (must be very snug...but not so tight to crack ring) and turn remaining ID/OD of exposed rough side.
- wireburn or other embellish
- sand and finish (used poly, following by Beall system buff and wax)

Only special tool maybe not everyone has is the pin chuck, but that step would be equally doable by use of a jam chuck sized to OD of rough blank, and just deep enough to allow some turning of both OD and ID on one end.

This is a great way to make use of some cutoffs and experimentation with inlace or other details. I would like to do this again, but with some inlace and perhaps other effects. Had to get this one out quickly.

These were made from maple burl, which is pretty on its own. I think the important thing whatever wood you use, is that you don't allow grain to run through any small section of the band (not sure how to phrase that...but I'm sure you all know what I mean).

Paul Douglass
05-27-2010, 9:38 AM
Tim, those are some great looking rings. Now I have to put another one on my list. Thanks for sharing the "how to's".

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2010, 9:55 AM
Beautiful rings Tim! Simple elegance! Your nephew will be thrilled!

Wally Dickerman
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Well done Tim. A good explanation how it was done.

I used to turn bracelets. Turned from a solid piece of wood they are somewhat fragile because of short endgrain. I made them much stronger by laminating, using a thin piece of contrasting colored veneer in the center. On a wide one I used more than one piece of veneer. Perhaps that could be done when turning rings.

Wally

George Morris
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Tim well done! thanks for posting!!! G

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Beautiful Tim. Thanks for the how to.

Roland Martin
05-27-2010, 1:01 PM
Very nice Tim. They'll like those!

John Keeton
05-27-2010, 1:13 PM
Nice job!! Having just turned a larger ring for a project, I can appreciate what you have done here. Pretty wood, as well.