PDA

View Full Version : burned hedge duck call

Aaron Wingert
05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Turned this one a couple nights ago. I've turned quite a few from hedge but haven't ever tried burned accents. I started with my little mini propane torch and ended up using my big turbo torch with mapp gas to get the consistent fade from yellow to black. The little torch was just creating rings. The burning brings out some amazing chatoyance that is hard to pick up on the wood otherwise.

I applied finish over the polished brass band but I think in the future I'll do that differently. I think this call would look cool with some tarnish on the brass.

Comments/critiques welcomed!

Ken Hill
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I think it sucks so bad you should send it to me for proper disposal:eek::D

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
That sure is nice! Reminds me of a flame effect you see on the sides of hot rods! Cool effect!

Cathy Schaewe
05-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Wow! Something else to put on the list of learning "how to do that"! That looks amazing!

Mark Burge
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Really nice effect. I'll have to try burning sometime. That is a great color combination too. I don't have a mapp, I wonder what the side burner on the grill would do?? hmm.

Aaron Wingert
05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't have a mapp, I wonder what the side burner on the grill would do?? hmm.

Gotta do the burning while it is spinning on the lathe Mark! Unless you want that marshmallow in the fire effect...

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :)

John Keeton
05-27-2010, 6:13 AM
"Probably would be smarter to wait more like three weeks but I'm not that kind of guy sometimes." Aaron, despite doing this against sound medical advice, it sure looks great!! I take it that you sand out a little of the burn to reveal fresh wood?

Very unique look!

brian watts
05-27-2010, 6:19 AM
that pretty cool looking very good job..might have to try that one day.. thanks for showing us..

Aaron Wingert
05-27-2010, 8:45 AM
"Probably would be smarter to wait more like three weeks but I'm not that kind of guy sometimes." Aaron, despite doing this against sound medical advice, it sure looks great!! I take it that you sand out a little of the burn to reveal fresh wood?

Very unique look!

Pooey on sound medical advice John! The stitches came out, which in my world means I'm free to do anything that I can tolerate! :D I did wear a nitrile glove over the cut though. Dr. David Keller is probably shaking his head...

As far as sanding, not really. The wood is sanded to 600 before burning. Then I hit it with the torch a lot in the areas I want dark and a little in the areas I want light. Then I sand again with 600 to remove the fine layer of char on the surface. But the sanding doesn't reveal fresh wood...The wood tends to burn in the open grain first so that's how you get the light/dark effect with the grain.

Paul Douglass
05-27-2010, 9:42 AM
Your calls belong in a museum! That is beautiful.

Dan Cannon
05-27-2010, 1:17 PM
I don't even have a lathe yet, so I'm keeping a list of "things I'd like to learn someday" so I don't forget all the great ideas on this forum...you just put this technique toward the top of that list. Beautiful call Aaron.

David E Keller
05-27-2010, 4:06 PM
Pooey on sound medical advice John! The stitches came out, which in my world means I'm free to do anything that I can tolerate! :D I did wear a nitrile glove over the cut though. Dr. David Keller is probably shaking his head...

Not at all... You can't screw it up, so I'd say have at it. Nice looking call, and I'm glad you are feeling better.

Mark Burge
05-27-2010, 4:59 PM
Gotta do the burning while it is spinning on the lathe Mark! Unless you want that marshmallow in the fire effect..

Well, maybe I could chuck it in the router and go out to the grill...

Paging Dr. Keller. Dr. Keller.:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 5:41 PM
Beautiful call Aaron. Really well done and finish looks great.

Karl Card
05-27-2010, 8:39 PM
that is 100 percent beautiful... i mean the wood, the burning, and the finish..

What did you use for finish?

Karl

Harvey Ghesser
05-27-2010, 9:07 PM
Aaron,

Just wanted to echo all the other great comliments on your very artistic call. And I'm very happy to hear that you're back at the lathe!

Harv

Allen Neighbors
05-27-2010, 9:55 PM
Gorgeous!! Gotta be a treat to use!!

Aaron Wingert
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
What did you use for finish?
Karl

Carl I dip most of my calls in a mix of spar urethane and mineral spirits. It takes a couple coats.

Thank you all for the compliments, they're definitely appreciated.

Karl Card
05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
wont anybody kill any ducks for saying "my duck call looks better than your duck call"...lol

which reminds me of the first time i had duck... it was like a delicasy...

guy put duck in salt water for 2 days, milk for 2 days then Allegro Marinade Game Tame for 2 days... then wrapped in bacon and grilled...

Id like to have some more...all I can say. Of course Allegro comes out of my home town Paris, TN.

David Hostetler
05-28-2010, 5:39 PM
Okay, it's pretty. How well does it call 'em in?

Aaron Wingert
05-28-2010, 8:20 PM
Okay, it's pretty. How well does it call 'em in?

It'll do! I'm still working on perfecting my duck calls' sound, close but not 100% yet. A tweak here, a tweak there. It is a great "meat" call as they say...A hunter's call that will call the ducks...But it won't win any of the super-loud mainstreet duck calling competitions.

Jeremy Butler
11-03-2010, 2:32 AM
I am just getting into woodturning so I was wondering if anyone knows of any videos on the web of this burning technique? I would really like to make all of my brothers their own calls some including this style for christmas. also you mentioned about dipping your calls in spar urethane and mineral spirits, is the mixture a trade secret or would you be willing to share the mixture ratio? thanks for any help from anyone

Aaron Wingert
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I am just getting into woodturning so I was wondering if anyone knows of any videos on the web of this burning technique? I would really like to make all of my brothers their own calls some including this style for christmas. also you mentioned about dipping your calls in spar urethane and mineral spirits, is the mixture a trade secret or would you be willing to share the mixture ratio? thanks for any help from anyone

The burning is pretty straightforward. Simply hit it with a torch while it spins. Just do whatever you have to do to keep from superheating the wood...Just enough to get the color. Then sand with fine grits to knock down the charred wood and use sanding sealer at least twice. The spar urethane is thinned with 40-50% mineral spirits (stir, don't shake). You'll need at least two dips at least a couple days apart, sand with 600 between dips.

If you're wanting to make good sounding calls avoid the kits that are sold through the various woodturning catalogs. Serious hunters will not be impressed with the sound. My suggestion would be to use Echo polycarbonate inserts, available from Echo in Beebe, AR. Then you just turn the barrel and be sure to use a band. Turning your own insert and creating your own toneboard is a huge can of worms to open, and getting it right can take months or even years.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 1:52 PM
I never care much for these kind of kit turnings etc., but I must say this looks real COOL, that is very nice Aaron, well done :-))

Aaron Wingert
11-03-2010, 2:22 PM
I never care much for these kind of kit turnings etc., but I must say this looks real COOL, that is very nice Aaron, well done :-))

Thanks Leo! I appreciate your compliment! (But for the record, there's no "kit" turning here. It is made entirely from scratch, from wood I cut down myself. No reed kit, nothing. The band comes to me as a cut off section of raw brass tubing. The reed is cut from sheet mylar. Entirely my own work...No plastic, pre-made parts, etc.)

Jeremy Butler
11-03-2010, 2:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the band? is it for looks or is it for splitting

Aaron Wingert
11-03-2010, 4:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the band? is it for looks or is it for splitting

Jeremy the band is to prevent the shoulder of the call from splitting, as most callmakers use a very slightly tapered insert in their calls. So it acts as a wedge of sorts. Bands are a good idea. Nowadays my calls have them more for decoration than anything, because I use a non-tapered insert secured with two neoprene o-rings.

Ken Hill
11-03-2010, 8:00 PM
Aaron, I ordered in some of Shell Creeks gutserts.....ever used them?

Aaron Wingert
11-03-2010, 8:35 PM
Aaron, I ordered in some of Shell Creeks gutserts.....ever used them?

Nope, but I've considered it!

Ken Hill
11-03-2010, 9:17 PM
Ill fill you in once I get a chanc to use them. I am also going to see about using their 1/2" sert on the buck grunts

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I am really impressed by these burned pieces. Very nice!

Jeremy Butler
11-04-2010, 5:14 PM
OK I have another question, where did you get the brass tubing? I've only been able to find brass pipes that are pretty heavy.

Aaron Wingert
11-04-2010, 10:05 PM
You can get brass tubing of various sizes at McMaster-Carr last time I checked. You can also get raw metal bands from Echo calls or THO game calls for pretty cheap and sand/polish them yourself.