PDA

View Full Version : Older Trend Airshield Battery alternative...

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2010, 10:23 PM
My Trend Airshield is 4 years old and the original battery packs are starting to weaken. I was never pleased with the fact you spend that kind of money for the Airshield and it came with a dumb charger instead of a Smart charger.

I looked around and found an article here and another one and ordered some battery holders from Mouser and some "AA" NiMh batteries and a smart charger.

All in all for a price less than the cost of 2 batterie packs, I got the parts for 4 battery packs and a smart charger that will discharge and charge without overcharging....AAA or AA NiCD or NiMH batteries. It recognizes the type and charges appropriately.

The new batteries are 2700maH vs 2100 mah of the originals.

I soldered connectors to the new batterie holders, charged and installed the new AA batteries and they work better than the originals do.

There are alternatives!

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Glad to hear you figured something out that works better than the original!

I built my own packs using rechargeable AA batteries soon after picking up my Trend. They worked every bit as good as the originals and only took 1/2 an hour to fully charge vs- the overnight charge on the stock pack!

Hilel Salomon
05-27-2010, 7:34 AM
Hi,

For one fourth the price of the Trend batteries, I made about eight of the ones holding rechargeable batteries. Alone, each lasts over 8 hours. The Trend Pro, however, won't-I think-allow one to do that.
Hilel