PDA

View Full Version : Pens

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2010, 9:53 PM
I apologize for the pictures as I was in a hurry to try and get these done and delivered before we leave for a month to see the grandkids. I have a order for 100 pens and some pen and pencil kits from the director of the Art Gallery where a lot of my turnings are. These will be displayed and for sale at the Art Gallery. She said she didn't need all 100 right now but I could finish the rest as the year went on. Anyway here is 21 pens and pencils that went down today. Two were acrylic and the rest were all woods such as redwood, bocote, red heart, desert ironwood, rosewood, cherry, cherry/walnut, osage orange, walnut, holly, bubinga, and others. Finish was CA on most but also lacquer on the one's in the boxes.

Oh and last night I was up till midnight making 8 more as 6 sold while I was delivering them.

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2010, 9:54 PM
Here are the rest of them.

John Terefenko
05-26-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice collection. All look good.

dan carter
05-26-2010, 9:59 PM
Shazam, ain't retirement great? Your pens look good, it is no wonder they sell so well.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Bernie - all your pens look great! Congrats on your sales - hope they lead to even more!

Have fun on your vacation! Remember - take lots of pictures - cause, no photos - didn't happen!

Ted Evans
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Great looking pens Bernie, where do you get the boxes and what are they?

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Dan retirement is great. I am still wondering how I had time to have a full time job.

Ted the boxes are from woodcraft. They are plastic with felt interior for $1.99. I just couldn't justify the $4 to $6 a box for the wooden ones. Cuts into the profit because the Art Gallery gets 30% which doesn't bother me because I belong besides she does all the paperwork and boxes it up for customer so I just turn it and take it down then collect the check.

Jon Lanier
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Those are looking good, Bernie.

gary Zimmel
05-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Great batch of pens Bernie.
Hope the orders keep on coming in for you..

John Keeton
05-27-2010, 6:25 AM
Bernie, some nice work, and quick sales!! The gallery must do a great job promoting your pens, so it looks like you better get to work on the rest of the order!

All look great, and the cocobolo sure finished out much lighter than I would have expected.

Tony De Masi
05-27-2010, 7:37 AM
Real nice work Bernie. Glad sales seem to be strong too.

Tony

Aaron Wingert
05-27-2010, 8:48 AM
Great looking pens Bernie. That's great that you're getting good orders from the gallery!

So do you have a "travel lathe" for this trip to visit the grandkids. A month of no turning is quite a long time, even when occupied with family activities! Just don't want you to suffer too much from withdrawal...

Roland Martin
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Really nice pens Bernie. I like the cherry burl/walnut combo. Have a great & safe vacation:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I was hoping sales would be up some as everything else has seemed to slack off. Funny how they say the economy is getting better but my clock shop is getting slower. I know a lot of people aren't buying but trying to save and make up for what they lost and of course I do a lot of senior work around here and they didn't get a cost of living increase along with insurance/medicare increase they also aren't spending. At the Art Gallery the big ticket/higher priced items aren't selling good either for any of the artist there. My bowls, vase, nested bowls are just sitting but pens, bottle stoppers, lidded boxes are selling right along.