PDA

View Full Version : Do slider tables on siding table saws fold out of the way?

Tom Rick
05-26-2010, 8:17 PM
I am looking at some of the older SCMI saws & I can't tell how the slider works...

I don't know if I have enough shop room for that slider on all the time. Are they designed to remove simply? What do you do when ripping solid stock and don't need the slider rig?

Thanks all

Robert Chapman
05-26-2010, 9:04 PM
I don't know of any that do.

Steve Rowe
05-26-2010, 9:20 PM
If you are referring to the crosscut table, the only one I know that is easy to remove is the Felder. They make a cart for it and it only takes 30 seconds or less to install and remove the table. I had one with a CF741 and it does save a lot of space by only having it installed when you need it.
Steve

Tom Rick
05-26-2010, 9:26 PM
Yep- the crosscut table not the slider....

I was looking though the owners manual and it looks like it might pull on and off simply but is hard to tell.

Thanks

Jeff Wright
05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
On my MM410 combo, the crosscut table comes off in about three minutes. I have a two-car garage (18 x 24 with a washer and dryer at one end of the longer dimension). I never remove the crosscut table. I leave it on and if I need more room to assemble a carcass, for example, I simply shove the slider (and the crosscut table) one way or the other to free up space.

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2010, 8:32 AM
Hi, on the Felder and Hammer machines, the outrigger table removes in a few seconds, and the support arm tucks in against the side of the machine.

That's one of the great advantages of them, the machine is only as large as you need for the operation.

Need more infeed/outfeed length? Clip on some extension tables.

Need support for cross cutting heavy or large pieces? Put the outrigger table on.

Working with smaller solid wood pieces? Unclip all of the above and have a compact machine that's still far better than a cainet saw.

Regards, Rod.

Tom Rick
05-27-2010, 8:45 AM
Thanks Rod- that was my hope.

I am looking at one of the older SI-16 series from SCMI and was struggling with divining how it all works from the poor owners manual.

From what I can gather on this series, the installation is a no tools affair so I am assuming design for quick exchange.

Assumptions usually trip me up.........

Mike Ruggeri
05-27-2010, 9:12 AM
Similiar to what Jeff said, on my MM the crosscut table comes off in about 2 minutes (or less actually). Usually though, I either just move the sliding table to one end to free up space or the crosscut table also slides along the sliding table assembly so you can put it at any point without having the sliding table extended. I find myself doing either of these to free up space rather than taking the whole table off and then having to find a place to put it.

Mike

Mike Wilkins
05-27-2010, 9:57 AM
What Rod said. I have the Laguna Pro 6' sliding tablesaw in a 16 X 24 shop. With the outrigger on, it forces me to walk around the crosscut fence end, but I have learned to look for it when it is on. When not in use, I just remove the fence & outrigger, place them on wall mounted racks, and use the sliding table with a short fence for smaller stuff. Believe it or not, when I got this slider to replace a 1964 Rockwell/Delta Unisaw, it created more space in the shop after the crosscut apparatus is removed.

Joe Jensen
05-27-2010, 2:53 PM
I have a Felder KF700SP saw/shaper and the cart for the outrigger. I have the larger outrigger and it's fairly heavy and awkward but with the cart it's easy to install and remove. I also bought a shorter crosscut fence that I use for anything but large sheet goods. This frees up a ton of space in the shop.

Having said that, my 9' slider needs 21' front to back for full travel, 48" to the right of the slider, and if you want to cut an 8 ft wide sheet, you need 8 ft to the left of the slider. When I had a cabinet saw, I could have stuff close to the saw and only move it when I needed to cut something long or big. With the slider, you need that room front and back pretty much whenever you cut. You only need the free space to the side to clear the outrigger which is about 65" on my saw. If you remove that, you don't need the space

johnny means
05-27-2010, 7:02 PM
I am looking at some of the older SCMI saws & I can't tell how the slider works...

I don't know if I have enough shop room for that slider on all the time. Are they designed to remove simply? What do you do when ripping solid stock and don't need the slider rig?

Thanks all

I have an SCMI SI-16. The outrigger loosens with one knob and lifts off in seconds. Mind you, I'm a 6'2", 200#, strapping young man and it is still a hefty lift for me.

Tom Rick
05-27-2010, 7:45 PM
Which series of SI-16 do you have?
Run of table?

Thanks

Jim Becker
05-27-2010, 8:39 PM
If you are referring to the crosscut table, the only one I know that is easy to remove is the Felder.

The large crosscut table for my MiniMax FS315WS easily lifts off. I only have it on the saw when I'm working with sheet goods. Otherwise, I use just the smaller miter fence assembly.

johnny means
05-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Which series of SI-16 do you have?
Run of table?

Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by series, but my saw is a SI-16 W. It has a 10' stroke.

Steve Rowe
05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
The large crosscut table for my MiniMax FS315WS easily lifts off. I only have it on the saw when I'm working with sheet goods. Otherwise, I use just the smaller miter fence assembly.
Jim - I am glad to hear that. I have a MM T55I shaper and the crosscut table is one royal pain to remove and install.

Tom Rick
05-28-2010, 6:02 AM
Thanks Johnny,

That's what I was referring to.

Do you like the machine?

Jim Becker
05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Jim - I am glad to hear that. I have a MM T55I shaper and the crosscut table is one royal pain to remove and install.

AFAIK, the table setup for the shaper is very different than for the slider. I suspect they really don't intend for you to remove the shaper table much.

It takes me about, oh...three to five minutes tops to install or remove the "big" slider "table" for my S315WS. It's not light, but still easy to handle. Once it's leg is on the outrigger support pin, it just slips over the attach point that "slides" into the tee-grooves in the front of the wagon. Tighten down the knobs and you're good to go. Handling the actual sheet goods is harder for me! LOL