PDA

View Full Version : DC pipe hanger pics?

Jeff Qualmann
05-26-2010, 6:31 PM
I've finally located a source for reasonably priced 6" S&D pipe and fittings and will probably be picking everything up this weekend. One of my unanswered questions is how to best hang the pipe and fittings from the ceiling.

I have several things I'm trying to accomplish: Keep my costs down, minimize any fabrication time, keep the pipe close as possible to the ceiling so I don't encroach on my already snug eight foot drywall ceiling clearance, and not have it look butt-ugly.

If you'll pardon my crude sketchup skills, here is what I'm thinking. Join two pcs of roughly 8x8"x3/4" board into a "T"-shape after drilling holes and notches for the 6" DC pipe and a future space for an air line. Then using regular plumber's pipe strapping underneath to hold the dc pipe in place.

Any other thoughts would be most welcomed, or if you have other easy or elegant solutions for hanging 6" PVC pipe, please pst an explanation or photos.

glenn bradley
05-26-2010, 6:35 PM
I just used plumbers tape; that strap metal with holes about every inch. A couple bucks a roll at the BORG. Easy to adjust till you have it just where you want it then cut off with snips.

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2010, 8:11 PM
My solution wasn't elegant at all. Some screw in hangers and short rubber bungee cords. Helps isolate any vibrations also! Jim.

Bill LaPointe
05-26-2010, 8:14 PM
Plastic or metal strap type hangers with prepunched hales cut with snips. I prefer the plastic stuff.

Mitchell Andrus
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
2X4 cut and hollowed out to allow for the pipe and the set-off to the wall/ceiling. Use 2 x 6 for a greater set-off. Two screws (pre-drilled) are hidden by the pipe and vinyl plumbing hanger by the roll. (Helps to have OSB everywhere) Very simple and dirt cheap. I have about 50 in my shop, took about 2 hours to make 'em.

Mark Duksta
05-27-2010, 3:45 PM
I used these zip tie mounts from McMaster-Carr. Just screw the mount to the ceiling, run the zip tie through it and around the pipe. They come in different sizes. I used the super large zip ties that are used around air conditioning duct work.

I'll post pics later.

Mark

Eric DeSilva
05-27-2010, 4:47 PM
Just because I had piles lying around (used to be a rock climber), I cut some short lengths of 1" webbing, put a slip knot in one end to make a sort of noose, and just screwed right through the loose end into a joist to hang it. It was originally intended to be temporary, but I have no real plans to change things now that it's finished...

David Hostetler
05-27-2010, 5:11 PM
PVC pipe hanger strap, looped around the pipe, the screwed directly to the studs... Cheap, fast, easy, reliable...

Jeff Qualmann
05-27-2010, 5:12 PM
Thanks guys, I knew there had to be several ways to skin the cat. Unfortunately, I have a drywall ceiling, so I have to be selective where I choose to anchor my pipe hangers to.

Mitchell - your 2x4" "saddle" is kind of what I was thinking, only I have access to lots of laminated white shelf board, so I thought I might just knock some "t"-brackets together out of scrap shelving so it all matched my bright hospital white shop.

Mark - if you get a chance, snap a photo of your ziptie mounting plate solution... maybe that woujld work for me if the plates are heavy duty enough.

Mark Duksta
05-27-2010, 6:49 PM
Here are some pics. When I decided to do it this way I called McMaster-Carr. They had the manufacturer call me. They said it would be fine for using it to hang pipe. This is the second shop I set up this way.

Mark

Bruce Seidner
05-27-2010, 7:24 PM
I broke an old HVAC pipe in my basement last weekend as I reconfigure the workshop. I can't say enough about how easy and effective the nylon webbing used for hanging new ductwork was. I plan to use it for my dust system because I have a big roll of it left. I also used some of those ginormous plastic zip ties at the ends of the new ductwork. You could not give me enough metal strap to make me go back to it. The nylon webbing can be cut with scissors or a knife, is easily moved or reconfigured and it holds well with a few staples. I will likely use screws and grommets for the 6" pvc. I think those wooden brackets are very attractive and in another lifetime I will hand carve some in a Chippendale School motif. But for now I've got a big old roll of inexpensive and adaptable nylon I've got to use up.

Jesse Wilson
05-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Use clevis hangars. I got them at a local plumbing supply company for $3.62 ea in the 6" size. It's a steal for all that steel....

http://www.duprocity.com/web/duprocity.com/uppic/20100317212753539.jpg