PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel cover question

Louis Brandt
05-26-2010, 6:29 PM
Hello,

I have a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria, and I want to install a steering wheel cover on it to protect it. I went to my local AutoZone store and looked at a suede cover that's supposed to be stretched to install. It looked like a perfect color match to the interior, but I couldn’t stretch it enough to get it onto the wheel, so the clerk accepted it back.

Question: Does anyone on this forum have a Crown Vic (or similar car) who has been able to easily install a steering wheel cover? I didn’t want to keep trying to force this one on, so I stopped trying, but maybe one of you has done this and can tell me whether it can be done without so much force as to hurt the steering wheel.

I do want the "stretch" type, not something that you'd have to lace on or tie on.

In other words, are these things easy to install, or do they require a lot of force to do it?

Thanks,
Louis

Dan Grebinski
05-27-2010, 1:28 AM
In other words, are these things easy to install, or do they require a lot of force to do it?

Louis
I've installed quite a few of those covers and they are a bear to get on. There are probably better ways, but I've used a screwdriver and very carefully pried it over the wheel.

Dan

mike holden
05-27-2010, 9:05 AM
They require a lot of force. Not sure where you are at, but make sure that it is warm outside as when cold, they tend to break (DAMHIKT)
Mike
Oh, and a lever is useful.