PDA

View Full Version : Recent acquisitions, help!!!

Rusty Eads
05-26-2010, 3:42 PM
I know that the gold one is a craftsman but other than that I do not know anything about it. Does anyone out there have any info or experience with it? It is 9" swing with 30" centers. The other one says Vega but other than that no additional info. It has a 12" swing and 36" centers. I am just starting out and was wondering which one I should use. Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Hutchinson
05-26-2010, 5:15 PM
Well, I don't have experience with either, but Vega is still making lathes. They are supposed to be pretty decent too. I think you found a couple good 'uns!! :)

Hutch

John Keeton
05-26-2010, 6:50 PM
Rusty, I am not going to be much help as I know nothing about either. But, for whatever it is worth (not much!) the Craftsman looks a bit beefier - and, it sure has enough pulleys!!

Allen Neighbors
05-26-2010, 7:25 PM
Rusty, I'd check out the bearings, then spindle/tailstock alignment, then check out the rest of each one. How hard to adjust the toolrest/tailstock?? How difficult to change speeds.... What is the lowest speed of each...
John's right about the gold one looking beefier... with a 1 or 2 horse motor, it could be a really good lathe. But the most important thing to check first is bearings and alignment.
Just my opinion.... :)

Rusty Eads
05-27-2010, 3:53 PM
The Craftsman I picked up for nothing and the guy threw in a homemade table saw and bandsaw with extra blades for everything :D. The Vega I paid $90 for but is in really good shape and is a bit bigger than the craftsman so I am torn